Mavic "starfish"triple Derailleurs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello all, l am seeking advice regarding which Mavic derailleurs will work with my Starfish crank. As you can see in the photograph l have tried with an 851ssc front and rear but can't make the combination work properly.

IMG_2066.jpeg

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I'm no expert on vintage Mavic at all, but does the rear have enough capacity for the tooth differential (v small inner ring)?

that's quite a wild designed derailleur with the pivot point between the jockey wheels

velobase might help with links to other info?
https://velobase.com/ViewComponent.aspx?ID=CD4FDA88-9A97-4D2D-B507-B84253BE1D32&Enum=108&AbsPos=78

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
What do you mean by not working properly ? I assume it’s a friction shifter.
I suspect that the Mavics were never meant to used with a triple. There’s quite a difference between the inner and middle chain ring.

OP
OP
W

woodbutchmaster

Veteran
I'm no expert on vintage Mavic at all, but does the rear have enough capacity for the tooth differential (v small inner ring)?

that's quite a wild designed derailleur with the pivot point between the jockey wheels

velobase might help with links to other info?
https://velobase.com/ViewComponent.aspx?ID=CD4FDA88-9A97-4D2D-B507-B84253BE1D32&Enum=108&AbsPos=78

Thanks for the link to velobase. That pretty much confirms that the rear der. does not have the range to deal with the triple.
Back to the drawing board , and research . It's a good learning process l guess !

OP
OP
W

woodbutchmaster

Veteran
What do you mean by not working properly ? I assume it’s a friction shifter.
I suspect that the Mavics were never meant to used with a triple. There’s quite a difference between the inner and middle chain ring.

Hmm. perhaps part of the problem is that l am using Campagnolo 10spd. indexed shifters ! And you are quite right , the inner ring is a 30 and the middle is 44. Looks like l need a major re think !!

T4tomo

Legendary Member
perhaps part of the problem is that l am using Campagnolo 10spd. indexed shifters

The odds are firmly on the pull ratio's being slightly different...

I'd mate the Mavic's with something friction shifting 5 - 7 speed rear end. I get the impression you're not short of options of vintage bikes to put such stuff on....

OP
OP
W

woodbutchmaster

Veteran
Top Bottom