Max heart rate confusion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
bobg

bobg

Über Member
Thanks very much Tim for the comprehensive and helpful reply. I'm just setting out a staged 3 month training schedule beginning at the starter stage - aimed at getting me to a adequate level of fitness to do as you suggest. I have also joined a local club and will have a go at their Sunday morning "25 for old farts" as it was described to me yesterday:biggrin: I do 25s about 4 days on my own a week but not sure how fast these guys go...
NB I have a bike stored with a friend near Kendal... look forward to tackling some of your hills. theres very few round here!

My tested maximum is 224bpm, at which point I barfed all over the livingroom carpet :biggrin::wacko:

Over time I have found it easier to get my HRM to pip onto 100% when doing intervals, though I don't remember the last time I hit 100% on the road.

bonj2

Jacomus-rides-Gen said:
My tested maximum is 224bpm, at which point I barfed all over the livingroom carpet :laugh::angry:

Over time I have found it easier to get my HRM to pip onto 100% when doing intervals, though I don't remember the last time I hit 100% on the road.

that suggests to me you haven't GOTa maximum, other than the point at which you boff :blush:

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
No - there is no correlation between max HR and fitness.

There is some correlation between min HR and fitness, but the very low beaters (who often make good athletes) are genetically predisposed that way.

The only HR characteristic which is a measure of fitness across all people is the rate at which your HR returns to normal after intense exercise.

OP
OP
bobg

bobg

Über Member
Tim Bennet. said:
No - there is no correlation between max HR and fitness.

There is some correlation between min HR and fitness, but the very low beaters (who often make good athletes) are genetically predisposed that way.

The only HR characteristic which is a measure of fitness across all people is the rate at which your HR returns to normal after intense exercise.

Tim,
How come then, using that generic 220 less age rule it demonstrates that your max gets lower as you get older, and in general terms presumably because things wear out, less fit??
BTW theres an interesting bit in Michael Hutchinsons book where in his training sessions , he gets up to a few beats off his max of 190 in the first few laps of the track, and knows its just off his max without an HRM because he can still wiggle his toes, particularly interesting ( for me anyway) that he does 20 minute sessions just off his max. :smile:

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
There's a correlation between age and max HR and age and fitness, but if you have two people of the same age, the one with the higher max HR (known as a highbeater) will not necessarily be fitter. Nor will your max HR increase significantly with fitness, even though your ability to see your max HR may!

Max HR varies between individuals and declines with age.

OP
OP
bobg

bobg

Über Member
Tim Bennet. said:
There's a correlation between age and max HR and age and fitness, but if you have two people of the same age, the one with the higher max HR (known as a highbeater) will not necessarily be fitter. Nor will your max HR increase significantly with fitness, even though your ability to see your max HR may!

Max HR varies between individuals and declines with age.

Cheers Tim

all is clear

rikgrimsby

can u max rate rate get higher? say if it was 180max can it rise to 190 or dose it stay at 180?

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
In my experience, Max HR variations and perceived 'improvements' are due to the difficulties in discovering what you maximum really is. Any variations seen usually indicates that one of the max figures was not accurate.

Most people only ever want to do the test once in their life times. This is not only because it's a really unpleasant experience, but once you have the information, very little of value can be gained from finding it again.

All you're trying to discover is whether your max is average, or whether it deviates in some way. ie you are a high beater. This is so you can adjust your training zones. Average annual decline can then be applied to modify these with time, and this will certainly be accurate enough for this purpose.

Gauging your actual fitness levels requires more investigation. If you're interested in this degree of insight, then many sports science departments at universities will do it for a fee or are sometimes on the lookout for guinea pigs.

However in my experience, the time and money spent on five sado masochistic prostitutes in nazi uniforms will be more fun.

Top Bottom