Max heartrate too high?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bill Gates

gavintc said:
I watch my HRM, and like you have spikes in the max (they just happen). I just ignore these as I am sure it is external interference. As you get fitter, your average will come down. I know what I can sustain for a longish ride and what I can cope with for short bursts. But, if I am honest, I can also do it by feel.

I agree with all the above.

I never used to use a HRM as I estimate my effort by RPE. At the same time if I'm going along @ 100% for the length of a hill, drag or flat road for a certain distance or time then any HR reading would be ignored. Sustaining the effort is the training objective.

On the other hand HR readings are very useful in the analysis of the ride, either as you are doing it or later on for analysis. The most useful element I find is how quickly I recover, which is indicated as much as by what the HRM reads as how you feel. The fitter I get the harder it is to get my HR near MHR and the quicker my HR goes down to 65% of MHR. (MHR in my case estimated)

HRM is very useful for recovery, keeping tempo and telling you how you are. Today on a climb my HR was 10 beats down on normal. That's telling me I'm tired. Well actually it's confirming I'm tired. I still did the ride but I eased off after that. I also used to find zone training very good for running, less so for cycling.

jimboalee

Crackle said:
HRM is very useful for recovery, keeping tempo and telling you how you are. Today on a climb my HR was 10 beats down on normal. That's telling me I'm tired. Well actually it's confirming I'm tired. I still did the ride but I eased off after that. I also used to find zone training very good for running, less so for cycling.

Most mornings when I put my wristwatch on, I check my pulse. I am normally about 55 -60 bpm while sitting on the foot of my bed.

If my resting pulse is over 70, I'm sickening for some reason and I abandon the cycle commute. Not very often.

Max heartrate can be found by doing a 'Cardiac stress test' which is done on a treadmill or ergonometer/gym bike. Intensity level is increased slowly until HR stabilises at its highest.
I did one of these last night using my gym's equipment and found I really had to push myself to get to 'max'.
189 bpm at age 50.
I had to push myself more than on any bike ride and my legs were burning, so logic says I won't be near max on my bike.

Legs started to burn well before my 'theoretical' max, as it was in the old days before HRMs.

Rip Van

Veteran
gavintc said:
I watch my HRM, and like you have spikes in the max (they just happen). I just ignore these as I am sure it is external interference. As you get fitter, your average will come down. I know what I can sustain for a longish ride and what I can cope with for short bursts. But, if I am honest, I can also do it by feel.
+1:tongue:

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Setting aside the deficiencies of the HRMs I asked my GP this morning if there was a downside to maxing my heart rate. I'm 55 and my grandfather, father and uncle all had heart attacks at around about my age or a little later.

Apparently there isn't. I should be pounding up hills twice a week.

yenrod

jeltz said:
I've a cheap HRM and having just come back from a short ride I had a look at the max rate. I live on a steep hill and because the rest of the ride was sedate I decided to get out of the saddle and drive myself hard up the hill.

Usually spinning it gets up to 190-195 but today it says 236 :biggrin: I was not badly out of breath at the top and its the fastest I've made it up the hill, but was it dangerous to let my heart rate elevate to that level?

Of course being a "cheap" HRM it may not have been entirely accurate!

FYI I'm a few months off 40 and reasonably fit as I do martial arts too, albeit I'm 10 days back into it after a 2 month lay off with a torn calf muscle, if that makes much difference.

I think I went to 230bpm...and it freaked the hell outta me...in fact it makes me quite emotional thinking about it...still - when your up with the stars on teh bigtime performance you dont realise...

At 40 years of age your max heart rate should be 180bpm. (rough calculation MHR=220 - age)
You should only run at max for short periods, usually (I believe) you should not exceed 80% of max.

addictfreak said:

according to this my max is between 160 and 171 which to be honest is rubbish. On some of the longer climbs round here i'd be walking slowly to keep down to those levels.
i'm 51 and i had 205 out of Kendal on a steepish climb and was riding hard but steady.

Bill Gates

According to the various formulae the highest figure for me calculates as 169 and the lowest 161.

My MHR is (I think) 176. I've had is as high as 175 and regularly hit 170 when I give it some welly. On the other hand it could be even higher than 176; but does it matter? I think not. In fact it is only recently that I've even bothered with recording it as it does not materially affect the level of effort that I'm riding at.

Monitoring my HR confirms to me that my RPE can be relied on, and that can be useful for pacing a ride.

I am Spartacus

Über Member
The best use is matching your HR to power, if you use a turbo with ability to measure the output.
(or those who live on Nob Hill with SRM)

If you are then you are probably taking your training very seriously and thus relying less and less on HR.

Top Bottom