Max speed on a trike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulM

Guru
For the first time in my life I now possess a cycle computer, a Cateye Mity 8. So I no longer have to guess my speeds and distances. It turns out my guesses were pretty accurate though. Anyway, I managed to find a slope yesterday that got me up to 38.5 mph before I ran out of road. I would hate to have to do an emergency stop at that speed.

I believe Ian Fardoe has reached 72mph, I've no intention of trying to beat that record!

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
I've reached 42.5mph down a local hill which isn't particularly steep but does go on quite smoothly for about a quarter of a mile. And it ends in a roundabout which is dead annoying - but the brakes do work!

It's great fun but it makes my eyes water, even with sunglasses on!

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Alas, I've yet to stick a computer on my KMX to find out tho I'm sure I've been above 40mph on some hills!

Standard rule of thumb, if your eyes are watering and you can't see, you are probably going 35mph +.:biggrin:

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Someone told me you would go faster if you're heavier? Is this true?

I think my husband goes a bit faster downhill. He's lighter than me but he also has a narrow track Trice Q which presumably has less wind resistance.

OP
OP
P

PaulM

Guru
The heavier the better

Auntie Helen said:
Someone told me you would go faster if you're heavier? Is this true?
I'm pretty sure that's true, the heavier you are the more kinetic energy you possess whereas air resistance is proportional to frontal area and drag coefficient but not mass.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I believe it's called cross-sectional density. Ian has more cross-sectional density than I do. :rolleyes:

Auntie Helen said:
Doesn't it feel rather scary going that fast? Presumably your eyes are streaming loads unless you've got decent glasses on.

I use wrap around shades, scary? Not really but then my bench mark for fear will be significantly different from yours, good fun.:rolleyes:

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Yes, I'm a real wimp and very risk averse. It shows how safe I feel on a trike that I'll ride one though! And I enjoy it at 40mph rather than feeling scared too.

I now have my train ticket for tomorrow's Freewheel event, including a ticket for my trike, so hopefully I should at least be able to get to London. Whether I can get back to Colchester is another thing :rolleyes:

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
54mph is my record so far, which felt perfectly stable. Braked down to 30mph for a bend without any drama too.

Ben

Personally I have topped out at 48................

However It depends on where I am and the conditions, weather and my confidence.

There are a couple of hills on the Isle of Wight that I have done this speed as they are straight , good surfaces and I can slow down at the end.

On the other hand, the previous hill is faster, but as ther is a sharp curve at the end, and an uneven surface I tend to be slower.

I have every confidence in my Catrike (Expedition), but it is important to be within your own comfort zone at these speeds.

Top Bottom