Maximum HR what is it good for?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

blazed

220lb+
. Max HR is genetically determined; in other words, you're born with it.
. Max HR is a biomarker, it's your individual number.
. Max HR does not reflect your level of fitness
. Max HR is sensitive to certain variables such as altitude, drugs, medication.
. Max HR is a fixed number, unless you become unfit.
. Max HR cannot be increased by training.
. Max HR does not decline with age.
. Max HR only declines with age in sedentary individuals.
. Max HR tends to be higher in women than men.
. Max HRs that are high do not predict better athletic performance.
. Max HRs that are low do not predict worse athletic performance.
. Max HR has great variability among people of the same age.
. Max HR for children is frequently measured at over 200 bpm.
. Max HR cannot be accurately predicted by any mathematic formula.
. Max HR does not vary from day to day, but it is test-day sensitive.
. Max HR testing requires the person to be fully rested.
. Max HR testing needs to be done multiple times to determine the exact number.

I saw these listed somewhere if its all true why do people care so much about having a high max HR if it doesnt actually mean anything.

Davidc

Guru
Fashion?

Bill Gates

blazed said:
I saw these listed somewhere if its all true why do people care so much about having a high max HR if it doesnt actually mean anything.

Used for training purposes:

It's a simple way of establishing a level of effort as a % of MHR as compared to power output and perceived effort. Not knowing your MHR will affect these calculations somewhat, and can give a false picture of whether or not you are riding hard enough as per perceived effort e.g interval training

Bearing in mind that your HR can vary from day to day for a given level of effort then it is a rough guide only so exactlly knowing your MHR is not essential but having a good idea is.

Dan B

Disengaged member
"does not decline with age" is interesting, given that all the methods for estimating it are formulae based on age. What's your source?

Note, I'm not saying your source is wrong - the "220-age" formula is certainly wrong, unless I'm dead
[*] - and it may even be correct, just that I'd like to read more about that.

[*] Max HR I have ever knowingly reached is 201, which is 16bpm more than the formula predicts

OP
OP
blazed

blazed

220lb+
Bill Gates said:
Used for training purposes:

It's a simple way of establishing a level of effort as a % of MHR as compared to power output and perceived effort. Not knowing your MHR will affect these calculations somewhat, and can give a false picture of whether or not you are riding hard enough as per perceived effort e.g interval training

Bearing in mind that your HR can vary from day to day for a given level of effort then it is a rough guide only so exactlly knowing your MHR is not essential but having a good idea is.

Yes i know about heart rate training thats not what the question was.

You can work out your training zones whether your max HR is 160 or 220 it doesnt matter, but why is there such a fuss made about having a high max HR if having a high max HR doesnt have any fitness benefits.

OP
OP
blazed

blazed

220lb+
coruskate said:
"does not decline with age" is interesting, given that all the methods for estimating it are formulae based on age. What's your source?

Note, I'm not saying your source is wrong - the "220-age" formula is certainly wrong, unless I'm dead
[*] - and it may even be correct, just that I'd like to read more about that.
[*] Max HR I have ever knowingly reached is 201, which is 16bpm more than the formula predicts
It was from this website
http://www.howtobefit.com/determine-maximum-heart-rate.htm

Those forumals are not accurate. I got my max heart rate as part of a bupa health assessment wired up on a treadmill.

akaAndrew

Max HR does not decline with age.
Max HR for children is frequently measured at over 200 bpm.
Do these same children die before then get to adulthood then?

Whilst I am sure a great deal of that quote is correct, I think it's useful to know your max so you can monitor your HR when training.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
blazed said:
I got my max heart rate as part of a bupa health assessment wired up on a treadmill.

I think not.........

I had a full Bupa medical thing, ECG'ed all morning.

The bike thing was a piece of wee wee..... there is no way they will push you, not even someone who was 37 and explained he cycled a lot....... too much risk to actually test it (they are dealing with everyone) My 'perceived effort' at the end of the test was 'low'...... I had to point to a score as the test got harder....

They only estimate it - I had colleagues that couldn't be tested - i.e. not fit or health problems.

MHR is useful for your own training only. Quite handy when training through and off with a mate, going up a drag, and you are hitting max...you know you can't keep this going.........bang, I didn't......mate was fitter than me though.......

OP
OP
blazed

blazed

220lb+
fossyant said:
I think not.........

I had a full Bupa medical thing, ECG'ed all morning.

The bike thing was a piece of wee wee..... there is no way they will push you, not even someone who was 37 and explained he cycled a lot....... too much risk to actually test it (they are dealing with everyone) My 'perceived effort' at the end of the test was 'low'...... I had to point to a score as the test got harder....

They only estimate it - I had colleagues that couldn't be tested - i.e. not fit or health problems.

MHR is useful for your own training only. Quite handy when training through and off with a mate, going up a drag, and you are hitting max...you know you can't keep this going.........bang, I didn't......mate was fitter than me though.......

The advanced health assessment? I can understand them not wanting to push you to that level they dont know how fit you are and its risky for someone in your age group. Im a lot younger and it wasnt an estimation for me, i said i wanted it done properly. I had my assessment at Bupa Harpenden, the nurse was a major MILF as well.

Dan B

Disengaged member
blazed said:
why is there such a fuss made about having a high max HR if having a high max HR doesnt have any fitness benefits.
Oh, well. Wasn't aware there was. Resting heart rate, yes

garrilla

coruskate said:

The two together, or at least max - resting, determine the spread of efficiency. Thus, the spread is how much extra power you can output between resting and collapsing.

Simples!

lukesdad

coruskate said:

yep! got it half right the 2 most important indicators are waking heart rate and heart rate at rest.

heart rate at rest will indicate general fitness, and waking heart rate will indicate how you will potentialy perform on any given day(often missed out of many training logs)

A high waking heart rate could result from many things but some of the main reasons could be: overtraining the previous day or days,a bad or interupted nights rest , too heavier meal or too later meal the night before, or the onset of a cold or virus or any other minor illness.

Unless you monitor these carefully the rest of your training log could become meaningless.

How many times do you hear "Ive just had a bad day I cant explain it" that is because my old mate you dont keep a proper training log.

jimboalee

This is what I've been saying for years.

Max HR is irrelevant.
If you want to improve, you HAVE to do more work than before, and suffer more ( muscular ). It may mean your HR goes off the chart. As long as it doesn't stop and not restart, that's fine.

You can observe you HR in training, but in a race, you don't give a shoot what it is, you just want to get to the finish before everyone else.

Having an idea of your HR during training, normal activities and resting gives you the opportunity to estimate the number of beats per day. So if you train for a length of time, live normal for a length of time and rest for the remainder of the day and your beats per day are less than an unfit person, chances are you are going to survive longer ( according to the Chinnese ancients ).

That's my aim.

lukesdad

jimboalee said:
This is what I've been saying for years.

Max HR is irrelevant.
If you want to improve, you HAVE to do more work than before, and suffer more ( muscular ). It may mean your HR goes off the chart. As long as it doesn't stop and not restart, that's fine.

You can observe you HR in training, but in a race, you don't give a shoot what it is, you just want to get to the finish before everyone else.

Having an idea of your HR during training, normal activities and resting gives you the opportunity to estimate the number of beats per day. So if you train for a length of time, live normal for a length of time and rest for the remainder of the day and your beats per day are less than an unfit person, chances are you are going to survive longer ( according to the Chinnese ancients ).

That's my aim.

No NO and thrice NO !

jimboalee

lukesdad said:
No NO and thrice NO !

Did you ever race before HRMs were available?

Did you know what your HR was when you were sprinting to avoid being 'devil take the hindmost'?

Do you wear a HRM 100% of cycling?

Did you ever let the other guy pass you because your HRM started bleeping?

Answers - Yes. No. No and thrice NO.

Top Bottom