Maximum Weight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

peteoc

Does anyone know what the maximum weight a Cannondale CAAD8 will take rider wise? I'm thinking about a friend and they've not had their bike long and they've already snapped a spoke.....he's on the large side.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
The frame will take plenty knowing Cannondale -wheels are a different matter and it depends on the make.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Snapped spokes are generally due to a poor wheelbuild and fatigue rather than the wheel being overloaded.

It might be worth taking the wheels (or at least the back one) to a shop with a decent wheelbuilder and getting them/it rebuilt. The shop will probably demand that all of the spokes are all replaced as they could be close to failing and they won't want the wheel brought back.

PpPete

Legendary Member
The frame will take plenty knowing Cannondale -wheels are a different matter and it depends on the make.

Per Evans website they have Jalco DRX 4000 rims, Formula RB hubs. Sounds like a selection based on a price point rather than for quality,
I'm not sure that even with a rebuild they will ever be great wheels.

£200 will get him some handbuilt Open Pros on 105 hubs with DT Swiss DB spokes, depending on how large your mate is he might choose 36 spoke rather than 32.
Fast (ish), reasonably light, and utterly bombproof IME

Tynan

Veteran
£200!

Blimey, I got some ever so slightly second hand hand built wheels from a chap in the London Cycle Repair shop for £170 the pair, fitted with Open Pros and 34 spokes and Centaur hubs, at the time I thought it was ok, perhaps i was a tad churlish

Top Bottom