May 2021- south England Loop

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mikey951r

Veteran
I think we’ll be just getting over COVID in spring and it’ll be back to France in July for me. Until then this is my 7/8 day loop for early May. Approx 550 miles I like urban, sea, industrial etc, not huge hills. Grateful for any thoughts.

E51E44CB-7818-4E76-83FD-FAA3840A2BD4.png
Bristol to bath on Route 4
Bath to Bournemouth on Route 24/25
Bournemouth to Dover on Route 2
Dover to Sandwhich on Route 1
Around Margate on Route 15
Route 1 to central London
Route 4 back to bath.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I don't know much of that except London but I understand that sections of route 4 in Berks and Wilts are rather off road so I hope you have the bike for it or a backup route on tarmac.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
this is (almost) my manor- there are so many nice routes across Berkshire/Wiltshire/Hampshire/Oxon that it seems a waste to trudge along Route4. Each to his own of course!
Well, what would you suggest? Bonus if it's waymarked or otherwise easy to follow (as that is a key selling point of the numbered routes and National Byway)

OP
OP
mikey951r

mikey951r

Veteran
this is (almost) my manor- there are so many nice routes across Berkshire/Wiltshire/Hampshire/Oxon that it seems a waste to trudge along Route4. Each to his own of course!

From the maps it looked quite nice along kennet and Avon canal. Happy to investigate any other suggestions? I know Sustrans routes are usually the longest meander from point A to B possible, but at least they’re signposted and for me it’s as much about the scenery and cycling with my brain in neutral ...😂

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/thatcham-to-hungerford-canal-route.269174/

Went for a wobble on Saturday with my mate. Followed the Kennet and Avon canal from Thatcham to Hungerford and back, which was just over 30 miles. Here's the outward leg of the ride if you're interested in seeing what it looks like (don't worry...it's not in real time ;))

Just after Kintbury we had to stop, slightly double back and take the road for the last 3 miles as the tow path was impassable due to it being deep mud (looked like the canal had flooded at that point a couple of days earlier) and it was impossible to get the tyres to grip. Anyhoo... beautiful route if you're ever down that way.

Top Bottom