May touring ideas for France, poss Spain?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jay clock

Massive member
OK I have a week booked triathlon training for Lanzarote in 2 weeks and have had to cancel due to work, boo hoo! I did post a couple of weeks back about that possibility and got some ideas, but here I am back for more! If I fly anywhere it would be perfect to go from Southampton and nicer still if I could go on Sunday 3 May in the pm as I have a triathlon in the morning, and it means I get a bank hol in the week, and only take 4 days off

Warmish weather is a must!

OPTIONS

1 NON CYCLING a week open water swimming in Malta with this bunch http://www.swimtrek.com/trips-and-events/one-week-tours/test-trip-2

2 Fly to Bergerac or Avignon and cycle to Nice/Perpignan/Girona then fly back

3 Other options are fly to Alicante and cycle to Malaga

Any idea about campsites in early May in the Provence area? Any comments or other ideas. I could consider other locations via Gatwick/Heathrow

Cathryn

Legendary Member
You're impossible to please, you!! Sardinia! Sicily. Andalucia. Cycle...don't swim!! Yawn. You'll eat more if you swim too, it's proven to make you hungry.

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
I knew you'd be the first to reply. When you off to France?

Current thinking is 3rd May, triathlon at 0730, finish 1015, home by 1115, in car to leave house by 1130, arrive at airport 1150 in plenty of time for 1400 flight to La Rochelle, then 6 days cycling via Bordeaux and Toulouse to Perpignan then fly back to Southampton

But the open water swimming is tempting!

Cathryn

Legendary Member
jay clock said:
I knew you'd be the first to reply. When you off to France?

Current thinking is 3rd May, triathlon at 0730, finish 1015, home by 1115, in car to leave house by 1130, arrive at airport 1150 in plenty of time for 1400 flight to La Rochelle, then 6 days cycling via Bordeaux and Toulouse to Perpignan then fly back to Southampton

But the open water swimming is tempting!

Off on Friday. SO excited.

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
Have a lovely time. Where are you going exactly (will check CGOAB in a mo to see if you have put it on there)

By the way if ever you are cycling down this way do pop in (we are not that far from Portsmouth) Mrs JC has done a bit of touring with me so has sympathy with us!

Cathryn

Legendary Member
CGOAB journal when I get home!!!

Going from Saumur to Chambord. Not very far but am dragging ageing parents with me, so more than enough for them. I just can't wait to simply spend another week on the bike!!!

Forecast is looking good!! I know it's too far out, but I'm encouraged.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Bonne route, JC. I'll have been and come back from my mini Tour de Belge, by then.

Cathryn, I can recommend this abbey for a visit

Fontevraud

It's only just south of the river.

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
Where you going in Belgium? I lived there for 15 years....

Top Bottom