mcafee / defender / malwarebytes

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by craigwend, 18 May 2010.

1. craigwend

craigwend Grimpeur des Holderness

Hi numpty question

Can I run Mcafee (total protection - it was on offer!) without 'windows defender' both on auto?

or can I just choose to use 'defender' as & when (I remember) needed with no major security risks, whilst just leaving Mcafee on auto?

I only use malwarebytes (from recomendation on here) when I remember & it's the only thing that picked anything up recently

2. swee'pea99

swee'pea99 Legendary Member

I dumped McAfee and would never use it again, free or not. IME it's bloated and clunky and causes crashes and freezes. I switched to Avast after seeing raves hereabouts and it's been great. Free too.

3. rh100

rh100 Well-Known Member

I use Kaspersky Internet Security,this gives firewall aswell as anti virus, and I agree with SP about mcafee, not worth it even for free.

Malwarebytes is pretty good for scanning on demand. I switch all the MS stuff off, except for things like the popup blocker that's built into IE8.

4. accountantpete

accountantpete Legendary Member

Get Avast - usually one update per day which doesn't really interfere with things and it does the job.

5. -20 mcafee
    +1 Avast
    +2 Kaspersky - joint best (with Nod32) paid for 'anti-nasty' imho.
    ;)

6. dellzeqq

dellzeqq pre-talced and mighty

Kaspersky...............never, ever, ever again. Bitdefender - and it's half the price

7. I take it you had a bad experience with Kaspersky Dellzeq?

8. Kaspersky free if you bank with Barclays:biggrin: On my 2nd year now and it's OK for nowt;)
    Technically haven't banked with Barclays for about 5 years but my account is still active with 1p in the account so I qualify for the offer:biggrin:

9. rh100

rh100 Well-Known Member

A tip if buying Kaspersky, shop around. A 3 user licence from PC World was £49.99. Went to the PC World web site which had the same for £25, reserved it online, went back to the shop and got the £50 marked box for £25. Was cheaper than buying it direct from kaspersky aswell. Not sure if the offer is still on, but they come around quite often.

Although I like Potsy's way of getting it ;)

10. I'm using McAwfee at the moment; it doesn't seem too bad but I had Avast on my old pc it seemed a better package.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice