Me and my catbike musashi

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

byegad

Legendary Member
I used to love powering around fast corners on my AZUB-4. Where on a DF I would need to keep the inside leg up to avoid pedal contact on the ground, on the AZUB I could just keep on pedalling. Great fun!

riggsbie

Coffee and Recumbent Trikes.......
Musashi ride#6:

Met up with a bunch of work friends on DF bikes and we did a 60km ride, nice sidewinds along the coast and head wind on the way back to Torquay (Victoria)

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/115126783

Peaked out at 48 kph and had a good average of close to 30 kph until the last few kays which were into a strong headwind, pretty damn hilly and I was knackered......

Now got 160 km on the Musashi and pretty confident, the real low speed stuff is still a bit wobbly and starts are a lot better, still avoiding the hill starts !!

byegad

Legendary Member
Hill starts are the measure of your ability. It took me a long time, nearly 500 miles, to get away on a half decent hill. I was stuggling with an undiagnosed balance issue at the time so I'd expect others to do better.

OP
OP
neil earley
well had my surgery last week fusion to C5-7 [ just below my neck} they removed discs from an anterior approach through my neck so getting about on 2 crutches, miss being on my musashi but hopefully be back riding end of October. Neil

riggsbie

Good luck with your recovery & rehab !!

Now upto 300km on my Musashi, it's just getting better and better....One of my friends tried a go on it on Sunday and tired to tell him to relax many times but he was way to 'tight' and really really struggled, which made me feel a lot better !

Now got my cadence sensor all setup and even some Arkell frame bags.......

Keep us posted on your progress !!

Paul

markg0vbr

Über Member
I'm sure Peter said something about just getting a free Musashi. Should I break the sad news to him, or will you?

the last time i spoke to him he was saying some thing about, cold dead hand and a big pry bar :whistle:

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Hey Mark,
Were you on a handpowered recumbent, coming up past the Energie (old fitness first) gym) from Dalton direction, friday afternoon?

riggsbie

Hey Musashi guys,

Just did ride number 9, upto about 350km and had a few technical issues today.......

the boom seems to be twisting even tho the boom clamp bolts are tight, need to find correct torque to tighten them some more ! Caused the chain to de-rail twice !! Then right near the end the front brake caliper came off - just been over the rumble strips on Horsebend Rd (nr Mt Duneed Rd) and then a clanky noise but that stopped then a flying glittery metal object caught my attention so tried to stop but as soon as I touched the front brake the caliper shot off and then tangled in the wheel and kicked the handlebars over and I came to a stop on my LHS - luckily wearing a long sleeved jacket and long cycling trousers...... the brake caliper completely came off, no sign of the bolt so cable tied it to the handlebars and turned around and headed for home on the back brake !! All good !!

Does anyone have a technical spec sheet for a Musashi ? I had a look on the Catrike site but found nothing, my dealer in Canberra sent nothing with the bike..... I just want some torques for nuts & bolts, I don't want to wreck the hardware but also don't want my boom to twist either.....

Also, on the front brake caliper, what should there be on the allen bolt securing the caliper to the fork ? I found an alloy ferrule thing with graduations to prevent the caliper twisting, is there just a washer and nyloc nut on the back ? Any idea of what torque they should be ? I did check everything about 150 km ago and everything was fine so the ultra smooth Victorian roads are just shaking the bike a lot !!
angry.gif

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated, as usual...... |did a couple of tough steep climbs and some quite long more gradual climbs. Also got my new speed record at 60.4 kph
biggrin.gif

Need to do some tinkering over the next few nights, good job I still have the frame swap coming up and this did not happen on the new frame !!!

Paul

byegad

Legendary Member
Try adjusting the boom for length, then check for rotational alignment. Tighten the clamps as tight as you can, then, when these are right, there will be a gap, in the boom groove, to one or both sides of the anti-rotation lug, which is attached to the clamp. Tap in a shim to the side(s) which show some clearance. I used an M5 edge on into the gap on my Trail. Once tapped into the gap this/these stops any rotation.

My boom was able to move left and right even when clamped as hard as I could get it! The length didn't change but I could see the dérailleur support move left and right as I pedalled. Not great I know as, in theory, the lug should fill the groove, but since I shimmed it with a washer, the boom hasn't moved, even on 25% hills. An issue for Catrike to address I think.

Catrike have a resource page here

Although these are Trike Manuals, I know that most parts are universal across the range so I suspect that things like the boom adjustment etc will still be valid

markg0vbr

Über Member
Try adjusting the boom for length, then check for rotational alignment. Tighten the clamps as tight as you can, then, when these are right, there will be a gap, in the boom groove, to one or both sides of the anti-rotation lug, which is attached to the clamp. Tap in a shim to the side(s) which show some clearance. I used an M5 edge on into the gap on my Trail. Once tapped into the gap this/these stops any rotation.

My boom was able to move left and right even when clamped as hard as I could get it! The length didn't change but I could see the dérailleur support move left and right as I pedalled. Not great I know as, in theory, the lug should fill the groove, but since I shimmed it with a washer, the boom hasn't moved, even on 25% hills. An issue for Catrike to address I think.

"Our new peace boom and boom clamp is designed for high pressure clamping and has an indexing system to
keep the boom from twisting more than a few degrees. Make sure the boom clamp is tight enough, so the boom will not twist
while you pedal. The indexing tab should be used as a guide; it is not intended to keep the boom from twisting under pressure.
Just like a bicycle seat post clamp, it is the rider's responsibility to check for the boom clamp for tightness. There is a plastic shim
included between the boom and the main frame to eliminate any gap and to increase clamping action. Make sure the plastic
shim is correctly placed before riding your Catrike. If for any reason, you are unable to install or tighten the boom clamp or are missing the boom shim, please do not ride your Catrike and contact your Catrike Dealer or Big Cat HPV, LLC. Failure to do so
might cause the boom to twist and cause serious injury."

is the washer as well as or insted of the plastic shim?

Top Bottom