Me and my Cowboy 3

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Gwylan

Gwylan

Veteran
Ah, I believe you're right. Shame, there was one near where I used to work and it looked very stylish. Fancy ebikes aren't really my thing to be honest. There is a sub-forum where you might get more help?

I've reached the age where ebikes help make life easier.
We became a one car family Having the bike means I can have lot of cheap independence.

rustedchain8919

I'm late to the party, but I got my Cowboy (Cowgirl to be more accurate as her name is Angie) back in January. I love her, but there are some downsides. I'm just tall enough to ride her with the seat all thw way down so I had to get a different type of seat mounted reflector. Also, I don't much care for the navigation in the app as it uses Google maps which I cannot stand. The battery indication is pretty accurate. If I wasn't quite fat, I would be able to get more rides from a charge. I paid extra for them to install the rear rack and the kickstand is no included as standard. I did get her because ebikes make it much easier for me to stay active and I liked the style of the the bike, the fact it it's feather light (in comparison to my previous ebike and others I have test ridden) and does what it says on the tin.

The Cowboy customer service needs some work. They have a tendency to pass you to other teams like a hot potato before they realise you were talking to the right person the first time.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Someone passed me on the Oxford Road in Reading on one of those the other day. At the time I didn’t recognise what it was, I just thought it looked sleek. I caught up with the rider on my non E Brompton and thought I’d asked him what was the make of the bike, but he jumped the lights, I didn’t see him again.
I don’t know if the rider wasn’t trying, or was unfit, or maybe I’m fitter than I think, but I thought at the time, that it didn’t seem all that fast for a leccy bike. It did look the slick though.

OP
OP
Gwylan

Gwylan

Veteran
I'm late to the party, but I got my Cowboy (Cowgirl to be more accurate as her name is Angie) back in January. I love her, but there are some downsides. I'm just tall enough to ride her with the seat all thw way down so I had to get a different type of seat mounted reflector. Also, I don't much care for the navigation in the app as it uses Google maps which I cannot stand. The battery indication is pretty accurate. If I wasn't quite fat, I would be able to get more rides from a charge. I paid extra for them to install the rear rack and the kickstand is no included as standard. I did get her because ebikes make it much easier for me to stay active and I liked the style of the the bike, the fact it it's feather light (in comparison to my previous ebike and others I have test ridden) and does what it says on the tin.

The Cowboy customer service needs some work. They have a tendency to pass you to other teams like a hot potato before they realise you were talking to the right person the first time.

Look at Cowboy Tools for hints on finding bits that fit. And are not Cowboy loony prices.

https://cowboy.tools/spare-parts/

I get typically about 50km on the battery.

You can use other routing apps. I use Komoot for adventures and put up with the router that comes with Cowboy.

Their grasp of English and the irony of calling themselves a cowboy bike company is limited.

Last edited:

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Crikey, doesn't sound like a positive experience and reinforces some of my prejudices against ebikes with the shortcomings of all that arguably unnecessary tech.

I find it infuriating enough when my heartrate monitor won't pair, and worry about my GPS head unit becoming obsolete if support is withdrawn.. it's utterly absurd that such issues could potentially turn the bike itself into a very expensive paperweight.

OP
OP
Gwylan

Gwylan

Veteran
Crikey, doesn't sound like a positive experience and reinforces some of my prejudices against ebikes with the shortcomings of all that arguably unnecessary tech.

I find it infuriating enough when my heartrate monitor won't pair, and worry about my GPS head unit becoming obsolete if support is withdrawn.. it's utterly absurd that such issues could potentially turn the bike itself into a very expensive paperweight.

But, in those moments when it works it is a thing of joy.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Unless you have a disability or severe illness stopping you from riding a usual push bike I just cant see the point in E bikes. They are a lot more expensive and heavier than a normal bike. So what if you are slow, who cares? You will get fitter and quicker the more your ride anyway. Certainly in some areas you don't want to go too fast anyway.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Unless you have a disability or severe illness stopping you from riding a usual push bike I just cant see the point in E bikes. They are a lot more expensive and heavier than a normal bike. So what if you are slow, who cares? You will get fitter and quicker the more your ride anyway. Certainly in some areas you don't want to go too fast anyway.
I agree in principle and generally dislike them intrinsically as the tech they invariably include nullifies many of the benefits of the humble bicycle - simplicity, low cost, longevity, ease of user-serviceability - turning this glorious machine into just another expensive, time-bombed consumer indulgence.

That said they do have their legit applications - I have two "non-cyclist" mates who will take their ebikes on town trips rather than drive, so that has to be a win for all concerned. Also there's the opening up of journeys that would otherwise be too long or tiring on a normal bike (again potentially removing more cars from the road), the ability to allow the less able-bodied to ride with their fitter / healthier mates.. or at all.

Last edited:
Top Bottom