Meaning of "gear of 20 inches"...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
If a bike is described as having a "bottom gear of 20 inches", what does it mean?
Thank you.

One full revolution of the pedals will move the bike forward 20"

everything you ever wanted to know on the sheldon brown site

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
Ah, thanks.
Here's me thinking it was something to do with chain length travelled.

Wobbly John

Veteran
itisaboutthebike said:

Not exactly - one turn of the pedals will move you forwards by the distance travelled in one turn of a 20" diameter wheel (about 63")

Measuring gears in inches dates from the time when people rode Ordinaries and the only way to change the gearing was by increasing the size of the wheel. A 25" diameter wheel would take you further than a 20" diameter wheel, f'rinstance.
I thought it was based on how far one revolution of the pedals would take you, but Wobbly John has sown the seeds of doubt in my mind now.

Dave5N

Über Member
It is much more helpful to talk about gear development, as that is independent of wheelsize.

BC gear retrictions work on metres development. It's the minimum distance the bike can travel with one whole turn of the pedals/chainset.

hubgearfreak

Über Member
Wobbly John said:
Not exactly - one turn of the pedals will move you forwards by the distance travelled in one turn of a 20" diameter wheel (about 63")

he's about a third of the way there though:biggrin:

maz, having a 20" gear means you have an extremely low bottom gear

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
Ah. Okey doke. Thanks, everyone.

Dave5N said:
It is much more helpful to talk about gear development, as that is independent of wheelsize.

BC gear retrictions work on metres development. It's the minimum distance the bike can travel with one whole turn of the pedals/chainset.

You mean maximum, of course :blush:

byegad

Legendary Member
itisaboutthebike said:

everything you ever wanted to know on the sheldon brown site

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/

I'm afraid it does not mean it will move the bike 20"/rev. It means the drive is as if you were pedalling a wheel of 20" with the cranks directly attached.

I.E. 20 x pi inches

The measurement was started when Saftey Bicycles started to replace 'Ordinary' Penny Farthing bikes. It was an attempt to equate the feel of the gearing with something the old 'Wheelmen' would recognise.

briank

Dave5N said:

As is measurement in gear inches. In neither case can you tell how far you're going to travel for one turn of the pedals unless you figure into the equation the diameter of the wheel.
If you want to be precise about it, it's the external diameter of the wheel/tyre combo that matters: which is logical, Captain - fatter tyres=higher gearing:thumbsup:

hubgearfreak

Über Member
Dave5N said:

gear inches is also independent of wheel size.

briank said:
In neither case can you tell how far you're going to travel for one turn of the pedals unless you figure into the equation the diameter of the wheel.

gear development does tell you how far you'll travel for one turn of the pedals. that's exactly what it is. ie. gear inches x 3.14

briank said:
If you want to be precise about it, it's the external diameter of the wheel/tyre combo that matters: which is logical, Captain - fatter tyres=higher gearing:thumbsup:

external tyre diameter is only part of the equation (unless you're an ordinary man). totally irrelevant on it's own without reference to front and rear sprocket and possibly (for perverts like me) internal hub ratios

Top Bottom