Meanness at Christmas

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ayceejay

Guru
I sent my grand kids in the UK a Christmas card, inside the card was a money order. They received the card today - late but the envelope had been opened and there was nothing inside.This is the meanest thing I have ever heard.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Someone took all the sick childrens presents from the General Hospital here in Southampton you have to be very low to do that.

OP
OP
ayceejay

ayceejay

Guru
[QUOTE 3444538, member: 259"]That's nasty but don't you need ID to cash an IMO? I though the point was you were protected from stuff like this.[/QUOTE]
I was hoping someone might offer something positive in this direction, unfortunately the banks are closed until Monday.

classic33

Leg End Member
The only thing that can be done is report it as opened and the contents missing. Report via the Royal Mail website, if sent by normal post.
Its quite common at this time of year for cards to arrive opened.

Unfortunately at Christmas lots of temp staff are hired... They don't give a hoot because they know they will be gone post Christmas so what have they got to lose....

Drago

Legendary Member
It ain't UK staff. They're far too lazy to put the card back in the envelope and pop it back.. this smacks of a more conscientious tea leaf.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
i did a few months as a postie ('till i could get a job in my more usual line of work) and i have to say that there does seem to be that a system where a regular postie would be held to account for such missing items is being undermined by the apparent policy of moving people around the walks a lot, where the postman/woman is less part of the community as an occasional visitor.

never witnessed any outright dishonesty, other than some posties taking a chance and scanning a special delivery as delivered before 1 o'clock, knowing that they'd miss the deadline otherwise and that the item could be shoved through the letterbox. very naughty, and a sackable offence, but no harm done i suppose...

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
in fact putting the opened letter back into the system is the best way for the thief to avoid getting caught, doesn't take a master criminal, conscientious or lazy bastard of a thief to figure that out....

the problem is most people blame the postman but before it even gets to them its already passed throught the hands of many other people in this country plus just as many in the host country....
not sure that's the case. i'm pretty sure rm can tell if an item's been through the delivery office twice, although that may have been disinformation spread to stop the temporary staff being tempted to lighten the load by posting it in the nearest pillarbox...

classic33

Leg End Member
I suspect that there is no way of proving in which country the theft took place, so claiming compensation could be difficult sadly.
Mail opened prior to its arrival in the UK gets set aside. A letter sent to the name & address on the envelope, telling them that they have an opened letter for them.
Chances are its been opened over here. As has already been pointed out, a lot of temporary staff are taken on at this time of year.

Drago

Legendary Member
Saying all UK posties are lazy and thieves is like saying all coppers are useless twats. And yes I do work for Royal Mail, have done for the last 25 years and never nicked a thing.

I was referring to the light fingered element. If you're publicly counting yourself among their number then be my guest.

The non pilfering posties are most excellent. But were not talking about the non pilfering posties, are we?

Top Bottom