Mechanical Disc Brakes and Hubs For The Road

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I'm aware of the Avid BB7, the Shimano BR-R505 and the Tektro Lyra, my understanding is that the Avid and Tektro use 6 bolt rotors and the Shimano a center lock rotor. Then there's the disc brake hubs, all the boutique ones like Hope, CK, Royce seem to have 6 bolt fittings and also to be noisy when freewheeling. whereas the Shimano ones, or at least the XTRs I was looking at, are centre lock but also silent when freewheeling.

So, my questions, what works with what, are there pros and cons to 6 bolt v center lock, can you use any 160mm rotor or are they caliper specific, are the 6 bolt to center lock conversion things any good.

Originally I wanted to go with Avid BB7 and XTR hubs but don't want to get caught out by compatibility issues, I have read postings indicating different calipers/rotors have different brake tracks and aren't interchangeable.

I also wouldn't mind some brightly coloured boutique hubs, but only if they're silent and high quality, any ideas?

Oh yeah, and pads as well, I read that the Avid take any Avid pad but the shimano need spcific BR pads.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Avid BB7's won't take any Avid pad only those compatible with Juicy's/BB7's - universal they are not

Avid do a large range of adaptor mounts to allow for a variety of rotor sizes (check what your fork/frame manufacturer says is the max or you may invalidate the warranty) and the mounting method is pretty tolerant of a narrow range of caliper/rotor offsets.

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Avid BB7's won't take any Avid pad only those compatible with Juicy's/BB7's - universal they are not

Avid do a large range of adaptor mounts to allow for a variety of rotor sizes (check what your fork/frame manufacturer says is the max or you may invalidate the warranty) and the mounting method is pretty tolerant of a narrow range of caliper/rotor offsets.

Ta Greg, I'll keep reading up, the rotor size wasn't a problem, it would be 160mm front and rear. But before this I was only aware of the 6 bolt mounting system and the center lock took me by surprise. I don't know why, they seem to enjoy doing this sort of thing in the world of cycle components.

scook94

Veteran
MacB, you can get a centrelock to 6-Bolt adapter, but this will obviously add to the overall weight. I'm in a quandary myself over which to go for when I upgrade my wheels, I like the "near" silent free wheeling of my deore hubs but am liking what I read about BB7s.

The Hope hubs as you mention are noisy, I'm not sure what options are available for silent running 6-bolt hubs? DT Swiss maybe?

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
MacB, you can get a centrelock to 6-Bolt adapter, but this will obviously add to the overall weight. I'm in a quandary myself over which to go for when I upgrade my wheels, I like the "near" silent free wheeling of my deore hubs but am liking what I read about BB7s.

The Hope hubs as you mention are noisy, I'm not sure what options are available for silent running 6-bolt hubs? DT Swiss maybe?

Why not just get the six bolt version of the Dore XT hubs you are already using? That is what I am doing... ;)

scook94

Veteran
The combination of six bolt hubs and Juicy Avids, is heavier than your current setup, but does offer better stopping...

Yeah, I'm contemplating sticking with the current brakes and sinking the money into better/lighter hubs. Lots to think about though....

Top Bottom