Mechanical Security on your Car - anyone still use one ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Miles cannot be done unless moving!
Location
Costa Clyde.
38785.jpg


Remember these useless devices? I bought one in the 80's to try and protect my VW Golf. Then someone pointed out that to overcome it, all you had to do was unscrew the golf ball shaped gear knob, then lift that end of the device off, and from there the handbrake covering bit would also slip off. It took 10 seconds to do it!
 
We have a "Crook Lock" steering lock. Always used one. Never had a car stolen, which proves that it works, at least to the standard of proof that you see in some debates I could mention (but won't).
 
OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Location
South Manchester
View attachment 818875

Remember these useless devices? I bought one in the 80's to try and protect my VW Golf. Then someone pointed out that to overcome it, all you had to do was unscrew the golf ball shaped gear knob, then lift that end of the device off, and from there the handbrake covering bit would also slip off. It took 10 seconds to do it!

Oh yes.

But why, now, some many years later are we back where we started.

Should have stopped with a physical device that needs plugging in (key, electronic key) rather than the fancy keys.

TBH mine drives me nuts when trying to wash the van.

For washing, I have to pop the key back in the faraday pouch and pop it in the garage. Then this allows me to wash the van without the wing mirrors/locks going off if I get water/my hand near the front/passenger doors (touch sensitive locking) and the worse, is washing the rear bumper near each corner - you set off the electric side doors to open. So you jump out of the way before a door whacks you in the head. Pain in the ass for cleaning the car. The rest of the time it's great.

The van is washed weekly... sorry, so it is a pain for me. My solution is to unlock the van, open a door, then pop the key in the pouch, pop it a couple of meters away, and I don't have random doors/mirrors trying to take my head off.
 

Alex321

Guru
Location
South Wales
Oh yes.

But why, now, some many years later are we back where we started.

Should have stopped with a physical device that needs plugging in (key, electronic key) rather than the fancy keys.

TBH mine drives me nuts when trying to wash the van.

For washing, I have to pop the key back in the faraday pouch and pop it in the garage. Then this allows me to wash the van without the wing mirrors/locks going off if I get water/my hand near the front/passenger doors (touch sensitive locking) and the worse, is washing the rear bumper near each corner - you set off the electric side doors to open. So you jump out of the way before a door whacks you in the head. Pain in the ass for cleaning the car. The rest of the time it's great.

The van is washed weekly... sorry, so it is a pain for me. My solution is to unlock the van, open a door, then pop the key in the pouch, pop it a couple of meters away, and I don't have random doors/mirrors trying to take my head off.

Why have the key anywhere near it for washing?

I've never washed my car very often, but when I do, I normally leave the key in the house - and I haven't previously had one with auto unlocking, though the Skoda I'm collecting on Thursday will.
 

Drago

Legendary Member
Location
The Urban Fringe
View attachment 818875

Remember these useless devices? I bought one in the 80's to try and protect my VW Golf. Then someone pointed out that to overcome it, all you had to do was unscrew the golf ball shaped gear knob, then lift that end of the device off, and from there the handbrake covering bit would also slip off. It took 10 seconds to do it!

Thats a Ford and the gear knobs did indeed simply unscrew!
 

Webbo2

Veteran
I remember people saying years ago that a lock on the steering wheel was a great device for breaking the steering lock. I have no idea if this is true or just an urban myth.
 
Why have the key anywhere near it for washing?

I've never washed my car very often, but when I do, I normally leave the key in the house - and I haven't previously had one with auto unlocking, though the Skoda I'm collecting on Thursday will.
On the 2 occasions I've washed my Kodiaq in the 5 years I've owned it, I'll unlock it to wash the sills/door bottoms/door frame
Then lock it, so I can wash round the handles without it opening
Likewise for SWMBOs Yaris


I remember people saying years ago that a lock on the steering wheel was a great device for breaking the steering lock. I have no idea if this is true or just an urban myth.
You can't do it with a Disklok, as it fully encloses the steering wheel & spins too
 
OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Location
South Manchester
Why have the key anywhere near it for washing?

I've never washed my car very often, but when I do, I normally leave the key in the house - and I haven't previously had one with auto unlocking, though the Skoda I'm collecting on Thursday will.

To wash the door sills etc. But you don't wash your cars much. The lower part of the doors can get full of crap.
 

Drago

Legendary Member
Location
The Urban Fringe
I remember people saying years ago that a lock on the steering wheel was a great device for breaking the steering lock. I have no idea if this is true or just an urban myth.

Steering locks are easy enough to break for any moderately strong person with or without any extra leverage.
 
OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Location
South Manchester
The disklok was about the only thing that worked 30 plus years ago. Halfords did a 'half moon' lock a lot cheaper and my BIL still uses his, but it was never a disklok. I remember it costing a lot of money back then, and roughly the same now.

Having test fitted it, if anyone does break in, and try and move the lock, it will set off the horn as the main pad on the steering wheel operates the horn. I may have discovered it by accident. :blush::laugh:

I noticed a lot of motorhomes and campers with locks on this weekend - I suppose £50k-£80k plus of vehicle needs extra protection even from a small lock TBH. If it makes a noise, people get up.
 

katiewlx

Senior Member
I had one with my first cars, you know back when you used to take the stereo out of the car for safe keeping too. But it didnt fit in my new MINI when I got one, the steering wheel, probably because of the airbag in it, just made it impossible to work anymore.

the weird thing is I just dont ever remember getting rid of it, but I havent seen it for over 20 years :smile:
 
Top Bottom