1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

medical advice sought...

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by pzycoman, 20 Sep 2007.

1. pzycoman

pzycoman New Member

To cut a short story even shorter, I managed to put my fist through some double glazing windows last night - it dosent matter why or how - but its still bleeding slowly some 12 hours after - should I get it checked out, or just shove another plaster on there and hope for the best ?

2. Regulator

Regulator Egregious Professor of Cruel and Unusual Geography

Get thee to the quack straight away! You'll probably need stitching if its still bleeding this long after it was cut.

3. The Velvet Curtain

The Velvet Curtain Living La Mala Vida

and while your at it get your tetanus up to date

4. classic33

classic33 Legendary Member

Bugger the plaster. Sanitary towel(s) held in place with tape plaster. Recovering NOT replacing if blood does soak through.

Ditto the above advice

5. wafflycat

wafflycat New Member

Get to A&E or your doc *now* Ditto what others have said. You'll need it checked to ensure there's no bits of glass and dirt in there, you may well need stitches, and if there is glass & dirt in there, you may have already started developing an infection.

6. SamNichols

SamNichols New Member

Don't go to A and E, if you can avoid it. If there's one around your area go to an NHS walk-in centre, they'll do the same thing but with a lot less queueing, and without wasting the time of people with far more serious problems than yourself (no offence). If you can still move the hand, then it's unlikely that there'll be nerve damage (I cut through my index finger, left hand, to the bone, with a bread knife, damaged nerves and now can't move it all that well)...

7. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

If you go to a walk-in centre, they'll send you to A&E to get X-rayed, to see whether there's any glass still in the wound.

Oh, and you do realise that this isn't the best place to come for medical advice?

8. Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke New Member

I put a bread knife through my left palm when trying to remove an advocado stone...it bleed thick dark blood...not bright red....wouldnt stop bleeding so i was dragged down to the docs...they made me have a jab and stiched me back together again...go get it checked...I think infection is th emain risk.

9. Fnaar

Fnaar Smutmaster General

Don't take your gun with you though! :blush:

10. John Ponting

John Ponting Über Member

MRSA at many A&E Depts.