Mediterranean cruise with Bromptons: routes in Marseille, Genoa, and Naples?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Machta

Good day, all. I've just joined Cyclechat, and looked through a number of posts. My husband and I are in our 60s, live in suburban Colorado, and bike around our town on errands, to church, to get groceries, and just for fun. A while ago we bought a pair of Bromptons which we pack up in Vincita travel bags and take on trips. We especially like to go on cruises with the bikes, and get out of the congested port area. Last summer we took a cruise to the Baltic and rode all over Stockholm, Tallinn, Visby, Gdynia, Riga, and Helsinki. Most recently we went with family to Wales and rode there--the most fun little ride we took was from Llandudno (where we stayed) to Conwy Castle. Big fun for us!

We have a cruise planned for January from Barcelona around the western Mediterranean. I'm not having a lot of luck finding off-street cycling paths / routes in the cities we are scheduled to visit, namely Marseille, Genoa, and Naples. Is that because there aren't any bike paths or bike lanes? Does anyone have recommendations for fun and safe routes in or near those cities, say 10-20 miles long?

My husband has some mobility issues, so walking tours are not really an option for us. On a bike he is himself again. And if he's happy, then I'm happy.

Thank you in advance. I am grateful to have found this cycling community.

Machta

Hello & welcome!

I'll post my usual answers....
https://cycle.travel/map is (in my opinion) the best route planner for quiet routes - although not specifically bike paths.

And https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=3dU&doctype=journal will let you search journals for where other people have gone. There's a very useful search function to help as well as a map that can be zoomed in on.

RideWithGPS allows you to search for other's routes in places too, although you may need a subscription to download or use them.

Osmand (an app) will show dedicated cycle routes but its planning is not 100% reliable.

If that's not enough I'd suggest contacting the tourist office in the cities you want to cycle.

Good luck!

a.twiddler

Veteran
I was pleased to read about your trips. Since acquiring a Brompton I've wondered about this myself. My main concern was about the cruise lines' attitude to bikes, though not been on a cruise with a bike yet, as our last cruise was pre Covid. Places like Barcelona seem bike friendly, and you can book use of their city bike system (perhaps through the ship's excursion desk) though it's always nice to use your own bike, especially if it's adapted to your particular taste/needs. People think of a bike as a machine for athletes but bikes are great mobility aids too.
I hope you manage to do the rides you have in mind. I look forward to reading about them. It might serve as inspiration for others to do the same.

Top Bottom