Medium sized frame (aluminium)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gyrojay

I would really like to try to build a road bike up. My idea is to paint it myself and then build it up gradually with new/secondhand parts. If and when I think I can do it proficiently enough I would like to build a 'better' bike up as a keeper, so this is very much a learining exercise.

I'm thinking of just going for a 1x11 speed (probably a Sensah from China).

So looking for a cheap frame, condition doesn't have to be great, but light.

davidphilips

Veteran
Tbh you would be better just building a bike that you want to keep learning as you go just take your time ask lots of questions and watch utube for information, not many can make money building and selling a bike actually quite the reverse is usually true and many bikes are broken for parts as they are worth more that way?
As for type of group set watch this review and well its up to you but i would stay with a better known brand.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPYsfe79zbc

OP
OP
G

gyrojay

Er, yeah that's what I thought I had explained that I wanted to do. Not interested in buying and selling bikes, I think you misunderstand me.
As to the video, I've watched all his videos, as far as I know the part that has failed is in one of the shifters for the front derailleur. This has been re-designed and anyway I wouldn't be using a front derailleur.

Gunk

Guru
I built a bike up for our turbo trainer recently, even though I already had quite a few of the parts it was still a very expensive (and uneconomic) exercise, it’s always cheaper to buy a complete bike.

9DA0785B-9C9B-4C7B-A541-0F48E1E5D7B6.jpeg

Big John

Guru
There's no rocket science involved in building a bike, especially in this day and age when we've got YouTube on hand, providing you have the tools and the time. You won't ever save much money, unless you already have the parts knocking about, but it's satisfying to build your own steed. Don't rush it, don't throw the tools down the garden (they're expensive to replace if you can't find them again!) and think long and hard about painting a frame/forks. The end result might look OK but will it be as hard wearing as a good powder coating?

Last edited:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Tbh you would be better just building a bike that you want to keep learning as you go just take your time ask lots of questions and watch utube for information, not many can make money building and selling a bike actually quite the reverse is usually true and many bikes are broken for parts as they are worth more that way?
As for type of group set watch this review and well its up to you but i would stay with a better known brand.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPYsfe79zbc

that the one with a plastic bit that failed ? copy of sram part made of metal ? no sound atm so cant watch

Chislenko

Veteran
There's no rocket science involved in building a bike, especially in this day and age when we've got YouTube on hand, providing you have the tools and the time. You won't ever save much money, unless you already have the parts knocking about, but it's satisfying to build your own steed. Don't rush it, don't throw the tools down the garden (they're expensive to replace if you can't find them again!) and think long and hard about painting a frame/forks. The end result might look OK but will it be as hard wearing as a good powder coating?

I would say building your own bike is far easier and more rewarding than attempting to understand the thread in NACA about heter something 😶

Top Bottom