Meet snuffles the hedgehog

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cab

Rescued (chronically underweight, on the verge of death due to hypothermia) in December.

Gained weight rapidly, now thriving. Likes The Simpsons.

Meet Snuffles, the Hedgehog:

domtyler

Über Member
Fattening up nicely! ;)

OP
OP
Cab

Cab

Morrisette said:
Aw he's CUTE.

Should he not be asleep at this time of year??? What happens if they 'miss' a hibernate?

She was too small to hibernate. Didn't have enough fat, so she ended up out on a cold, frosty night looking for food which meant that she ended up freezing almost to death. If they start winter too small to hibernate then they'll probably never get going. However, she's big enough now so we're putting her into cooled areas for the nights, maybe she'll start to sleep out some of the colder ones now.

simonali

Guru
It seems very unusual to see one these days, doesn't it? I reckon I can recall every time I've seen one in the last 5 years and that it wouldn't trouble my second hand if I used my fingers to count the occasions!

Are they on the decline?

He so snuffly...
Aw. :biggrin:

Arch

Married to Night Train
simonali said:
It seems very unusual to see one these days, doesn't it? I reckon I can recall every time I've seen one in the last 5 years and that it wouldn't trouble my second hand if I used my fingers to count the occasions!

Are they on the decline?

Or getting better at crossing the road...

Sadly, yes, decline seems to be it.

Cutey! Not as cute as a baby elephant, I think, but more manageable.

Aint Skeered

simonali said:

Are they on the decline?

Round these parts, it probably due to all the pikies that are moving in.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
We rescued a young hedgehog in the autumn.

We found it shuffling round and round in small circles in the grass and couldn't work out why at first. Judging from the droppings, it had been there a couple of days.

When we looked hard and got it to unroll, it turned out it had trodden in some bubblegum that someone had spat out. Then it had got some grass stuck in the gum, then more stuck to that, so that it was effectively tethered to the spot by one foot. It was a bit skinny, so we cut it free and took it home.

Three days, several noisily-consumed tins of cat food and about three dozen slugs later, we released it.

So please dispose of your gum properly, folks. 'Specially if you think hedgehogs are cute. (Take a close look, count the fleas and mites, and you might change your mind, but still...)

Arch

Married to Night Train
My friend whose partner is a vet often has rescued animals recovering at home, and they had a mad half blind hedgehog for a while, running round in circles (a sign of neurological damage, hence the 'mad' bit.). I gather it went on to make a full recovery.:becool:

Top Bottom