Meeting a High Priest of the world of hi-fi BS.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
My set up has a fairly ordinary HDMI cable, not your gold-plated ones built by NASA for the ISS which can process data at warp speed, just an ASDA cheapie. Picture is fantastic, sound equally good and I have just basic cabling from Richer Sounds (nice bloke let me have final few metres free as it was almost the end of the reel). So I've concluded that the upper-end stuff is marketing BS for people with more cash than sense.
Ah yes, but it's your sort who'll never appreciate the improvement brought by freshly-gathered lark's spittle smeared on your connections under the light of a full moon.

We are - properly too, unlike some of these new estates where detached houses are about a foot apart. :rolleyes:
🤣. I remember, one morning after “testing” my new speakers, feeling embarrassed about the possible effects on neighbours. I put the helicopter from “The Wall” on again at 11 and went outside. Was relieved to discover I couldn’t hear it on the front lawn. Not worried since

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Tone controls are for bootleg cassettes of concerts. I always leave the treble and bass flat out of respect for the producer on properly recorded music, although loudness can come in handy for late night, low volume listening. But I have headphones so can't remember the last time I switched the loudness on. Balance is useful depending on the layout of my lounge (I like to change the location of the sofa and armchairs)... i wish it was on my remote control unit.

Arguably, at least in part, they're not really about changing what the recording engineer was up to, but to compensate for the acoustics of your room - and the latter makes a huge difference - eg furniture, speaker position and so on. That said neither my old nor new amp has tone controls

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Arguably, at least in part, they're not really about changing what the recording engineer was up to, but to compensate for the acoustics of your room - and the latter makes a huge difference - eg furniture, speaker position and so on. That said neither my old nor new amp has tone controls
I know it's heresy, but the only thing that matters to me is what sounds good to my ears. If I have to wang the tone controls up to 11 to compensate for room acoustics and/or my dodgy hearing, that's fine with me.

Chromatic

Legendary Member
You think that's crazy, but it probably does make a difference to the sound, albeit not for that price

Now this is utter BS from the same site

https://www.analogueseduction.net/e...hi-fi-racks/shun-mook-mpingo-cable-trees.html

I suspect record clamps probably divide hi if types a bit like the helmet thing with cyclists, some think they are good, some don't. Part of me thinks that if they are that effective then any turntable with pretensions to quality would come with one as standard and only the cheaper end of the market wouldn't bother.
They likely help with less than perfectly flat records. It was more the price I found eye-popping.

Whilst I'm here I didn't mean to denigrate Analogue Seduction, they are a great retailer, I've used them every now and then for hi-fi bits and pieces, always had excellent service and I would recommend them without hesitation, it's a site I know of and which came up on a Google search for shun mook after reading a thread about record clamps on a hi fi forum which led me to that clamp.

PS
Cable trees are ace:okay:

Last edited:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
or, for the real cognoscenti
Ebay link - please note, I have no connection with this and have posted it purely for amusement :laugh:
That does look good. I'll take two. Plus one of these to go with:

1599127644124.png

Bargain! I've always wanted a mpingo disc.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I have no idea what this is about. Is it all Emperor’s new clothes stuff?

if you question it then you aren’t good enough to hear it. And somehow the gullible get parted from their cash.

HiFi geeks must be more stupid that cyclists?

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
OH YESSSSSS!!!!!!!!!

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I have no idea what this is about. Is it all Emperor’s new clothes stuff?

if you question it then you aren’t good enough to hear it. And somehow the gullible get parted from their cash.

HiFi geeks must be more stupid that cyclists?

I think there are 2 categories of hi fi geeks: those that believe the laws of physics and those who don't

There are two categories of both the above - those that listen to music and those that listen to hi fi

Top Bottom