meeting childhood heroes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Over the years, going to various SF conventions, I've met some of my childhood heroes.

George Takei - Mr Sulu. Thoroughly nice, funny and charming.
Gerry Anderson. I grew up with his shows and was last in line at a signing session at the Bristol Festival of Ideas. Nice chap, I wish I'd had more time to chat.

I was once lucky enough to go backstage at London Gay Pride 1993 and mooch about with the likes of Erasure etc. I was stood in line for the portaloo when a loud voice from behind exclaimed that the weather was terrible (it was cold for June) - it was Lily Savage (a bit worse for drink^_^) but he was funny:smile:.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
My childhood hero was Mark E Smith. I never want to meet him though.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I tried to apply for tickets to a Guardian reading group event with a bloke called Russell Hoban, who wrote my all time favourite book, bar none ...

One day I'll do that cycle tour of Kent that a friend suggested (in the pub, of course) based on Fools circel 9wys

Horny Boy rung Widders Bel
Stoal his Fathers Ham as wel
Bernt his Arse and Forkt a Stoan
Done It Over broak a boan
Out of Good Shoar vackt his wayt
Scratcht Sams Itch for No. 8
Gone to senter nex to see
Cambry coming 3 times 3
Sharna pax and get the poal
When the Ardship of Cambry comes out of the hoal

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
My childhood hero was Mark E Smith. I never want to meet him though.

No you don't.
I worked with him on his Light User Syndrome album and he's a thoroughly unpleasant chap.
What Brix Smith saw in him I never know. (Brix on the other hand was a joy to work with)

Some years ago now I got to meet my hero Muhammad Ali and he was everything and more like I expected him to be. Sadly although not as bad as he is now he was still not in very good health but he would not leave the bookshop he was signing at until everybody either had their book or scraps of paper signed by him. His intended hour stay ended up in a three hour stay.
He also when presented with a young child pretended to spar with them and I will always remember the sparkle in his eye when he was doing it.The Greatest certainly in my eyes.
If only Carl Fogerty had been the same some years later !

swansonj

Guru
Does doing it the other way round count? I met Polly Toynbee when I was at school and she was a fairly undistinguished junior reporter on the Grauniad women's page. She's only become a (little bit of a) hero subsequently.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
One day I'll do that cycle tour of Kent that a friend suggested (in the pub, of course) based on Fools circel 9wys

Horny Boy rung Widders Bel
Stoal his Fathers Ham as wel
Bernt his Arse and Forkt a Stoan
Done It Over broak a boan
Out of Good Shoar vackt his wayt
Scratcht Sams Itch for No. 8
Gone to senter nex to see
Cambry coming 3 times 3
Sharna pax and get the poal
When the Ardship of Cambry comes out of the hoal

The competition was all about identifying the towns. Some were easier than others. One ended up a near-guess...can't remember which, but I guess I guessed right. Trubba not.

I met my childhood hero yesterday, in fact I've met him on a regular basis for the last 52 years.

God bless you dad and thanks for everything, I couldn't have asked for better.

Happy 80th.

Met n sorta worth worked with The Stranglers during the Always The Sun tour.
Mate of mine worked for them n I got a tour pass -all areas- for a few gigs I went to.
I just helped look out for geysers selling iffy merchandise outside to punters queuing to get in.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Oh and I'd love to meet the person who, in a dictionary for kids, wrote

Fart: A small explosion between the legs.

Cue us all walking about, making explosion noises and outward motions with our hands between our legs for ages afterwards.

Top Bottom