Melting sea ice and rising sea levels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

byegad

Legendary Member
I'm afraid I was very worried about this over 20 years ago and read a lot about global warming. These days not so much.

Not because the problem is going away, but I fear we are already too late to stop it becoming a runaway process. The issues have been touched on here but remember that as the permafrost in Canada and Siberia warm, they will release vast quantities of methane. As methane is a far more effective global warmer than CO2, some 20 odd times so, and we are already seeing some Tundra permafrosts already melting (See peat fires in Greenland, which happened recently and may well still be burning for all I know, the idea that cutting our CO2 output by 2100 seems far too little, far too late.

I'm afraid my three grandchildren and many generations yet to come will have to deal with our collective inaction and its consequences.

[QUOTE 4924644, member: 9609"]I doubt we will see much change in our life time ...[/quote]
Hate to sound so pessimistic, but we can indeed see changes ... like NOW.

East African famine? A possible repeat of the 1984 catastrophe? Undoubtedly, Mengistu's policies were a major factor, and well-reported at the time. However, with hindsight? There has also been a pronounced change in the area's climate - and had climate science been as developed 30 years ago as now, would have "shared top billing" with Mengistu.

Even Syria? Hard as it is to understand the causes of, or follow the godawful political mess that is Syria - climate change/drought/migration "shares the billing" as a contributory "spark" for the conflagration.

[QUOTE 4924644, member: 9609"]... but sea level rise is on its way,[/quote]
Again - not on its way, but happening now. Five of the Solomon Islands have been swallowed whole by rising sea levels, offering a glimpse into the future of other low-lying nations.

[QUOTE 4924644, member: 9609"]... at some point cities like London will need to be moved to higher ground ...[/quote]
... people are already on the move?

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
37 posts have been deleted. There appears to have been an awful lot of insults flying over this forum in the last few days. Warning points have been issued in places. In the case of a number of people, their tally might mean an extended period 'away' from the forum.

Sorry for the delay, the moderators seem to have all been out riding bikes or busy with real life.:bicycle:

classic33

Leg End Member
I'm afraid I was very worried about this over 20 years ago and read a lot about global warming. These days not so much.

Not because the problem is going away, but I fear we are already too late to stop it becoming a runaway process. The issues have been touched on here but remember that as the permafrost in Canada and Siberia warm, they will release vast quantities of methane. As methane is a far more effective global warmer than CO2, some 20 odd times so, and we are already seeing some Tundra permafrosts already melting (See peat fires in Greenland, which happened recently and may well still be burning for all I know, the idea that cutting our CO2 output by 2100 seems far too little, far too late.

I'm afraid my three grandchildren and many generations yet to come will have to deal with our collective inaction and its consequences.
Check for "methane bubbles, siberia".

Top Bottom