Memory Lane Herne Hill

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sunray

I hope rropo will read this

Hi I have just joined this forum and saw your post re Don Louis of Herne Hill. I remember him very well, bought my first bike from him (a TJQ) and regularly went on rides with him particularly around Dulwich park etc. did he have his new rug on it was a black, he was a nice bloke yes he was definitely Welsh not too sure about that and we would all congregate in his cycle shop in Herne Hill - there were always more people behind the counter than in front checking out the latest 'gen' accessories. Don was very generous and if you couldn't afford a pair of his wheels he'd let you have them on credit. Yes that’s how I got my first Bike from him. More often than not the goods were never paid for as Don's bookkeeping was a bit lax! The other memory is that Don rode a beautiful all chrome bike and used to swear like mad if he was overtaken by any of us lads!!

By the way did you remember the café on the corner; you could get a cup of hot OXO and a slice of bread and dripping for 2 pence now that was good value on a cold day.

Have a good day one and all.
AVE

Sounds like you could tell a good story sunray! How about giving us a taste in the 'Rider's Tales' section, where folk usually write about something memorable. Bread and dripping with oxo certainly slides ( xx( ) into that category! :smile:

StevePhilpott

I hope rropo will read this

Hi I have just joined this forum and saw your post re Don Louis of Herne Hill. I remember him very well, bought my first bike from him (a TJQ) and regularly went on rides with him particularly around Dulwich park etc. did he have his new rug on it was a black, he was a nice bloke yes he was definitely Welsh not too sure about that and we would all congregate in his cycle shop in Herne Hill - there were always more people behind the counter than in front checking out the latest 'gen' accessories. Don was very generous and if you couldn't afford a pair of his wheels he'd let you have them on credit. Yes that’s how I got my first Bike from him. More often than not the goods were never paid for as Don's bookkeeping was a bit lax! The other memory is that Don rode a beautiful all chrome bike and used to swear like mad if he was overtaken by any of us lads!!

By the way did you remember the café on the corner; you could get a cup of hot OXO and a slice of bread and dripping for 2 pence now that was good value on a cold day.

Have a good day one and all.
AVE
I Remember going home the long way from Brockwell Baths to the chippy by the Tulse Hill Tavern because they did a bag of chips for 2p. If we couldn't afford that we would go via the big house and get a bag of puffed up crisps, can't remember what they were called.

Top Bottom