memory tricked me

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

garybain37

Regular
My memory tricked me into thinking that a 6 mile ride to work would be easy peezy because as my memory reminded me I used to fly around all those years ago (30ish):wacko: . Up hills at pace down the other side like a rocket making nothing of a couple of hours in the saddle, but oh have times changed!!
Got up this morning to be greeted with the great British weather but still infused with the thought of my first ride to work, weighed myself (13,13), cup of tea & off I set, out side my door a hill which seems nothing in the car but within a couple hundred metres my legs were burning & my breath was shortening, at the top I was praying for the lights to change to red so I could have a breather (1/2 mile travelled ) went down the other side & had sever front wheel wobble which I thought was going to bring me down but I managed to get it under control although it affected me & made me cautious for the rest of the ride in. I got to work in 30 mins averaging 10mph according to the computer, strangely my hands hurt more than my backside which has reversed itself now I’ve cycled home, I can feel a definite ache down below.
I’ve started now which should be the hard one out of the way, but I’m thinking I’ll be sitting gingerly tomorrow:blink:

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Well done. First one is always tough. I was nearly physically sick at the top of a hill. lol. Was in the bottom gear on the granny ring and now manage it in third gear in the middle ring so it does get easier :smile:

You've maybe picked a tough time of the year to start but I bet you will see great improvements if you can even manage it every other day.

Welcome to the forum. You will find loads of helpful peeps on here with great advice.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
:welcome: - people thought I was mad when I suggested commuting (10 miles each way). Now I'm at nearly 200 they still wonder why I do it :crazy:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
:welcome: to the forums. 30 years ago I used to cycle to do the horses about 6 miles from home then another 3 to work. Back to the horses at lunch and then back to work then back to the horses once more and then home. So 24 miles a day, 6 days a week and in the evenings I used to jog to keep fit.
Now I barely break 13mph and loathe hills. Yup, memory is a right so-and-so when it comes to fitness.

Have a great commute in the morning? Every other day, to start, might be a plan though or cycle there and bus back and then bus in the next day and cycle home? Just a thought. Have you considered padded cycling trousers? Proper gloves? Stops the pain in your bum and hands big time.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Welcome to forum it is a helpful and often silly place, with a charm all of its own, but no curtains yet.

Memory is a bit of a facer ain't it? I bought a new bike this year and thought, how hard can it be? I used to ride everywhere as kid, everywhere...on a shopping bike! (see picture over there on the left.)

I got on the new bike, and took it up a short but steep hill near where I live. Feck Me ! I thought I was going to die right there on the bike, my lifeless fat lump and brand new bike collapsed in a ditched dirt and diet coke cans, I did eventually get up it, but had to get off the bike and lay on the ground with my feet in the air for about ten minutes before I could move again.

Anyway 8 months down the line I ride up that hill no bother, not using all the gears and carry on do 30 miles and ride back up I again before coming home.

My point is keep going it does get easier and you will get fitter and you will start to really enjoy your rides out.

Davidc

Guru
Welcome.

Well done for getting back on the bike and doing that commute. Once your body gets used to it, your fitness and stamina goes up, and importantly your mind gets used to it you should be OK. 6 miles should be a comfortable distance then.

Top Bottom