Men & Women's Cycling Shoe Sizes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Plax

Guru
Is there any difference? For example is a size 40 in a woman's shoe smaller than a man's size 40?

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
For my $0.02 you have to try them on. They feel different 'cos of the more rigid sole and manufacturers such as LAKE seem a little off on their sizing. (Nice shoes tho')

Maz

Guru
Womens shoes are either pink or pastel blue.
Seriously, though, I didn't know they made different cycling shoes for men and women. Size 40 is size 40 for both I'd say.
Like gambatte says, try them for size.

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
Size 40 is size 40 for both I'd say
I'd have thought so too, but I've looked at a few sites and they look different.
http://www.ultimatepursuits.co.uk/shoesize.htm
My confusion is further compounded by the fact that I have a pair of Shimano SH-M020 shoes which are a size 40 which I thought was a UK size 7. These are a bit tight so I'm thinking of going for a size 42 which I thought would be a UK size 8, so a size up. Is that chart just wrong?

Depends on shoes - In my case I vary from a size 45 (Adidas) or size 46 (Specialized)to a 48 (Shimano) and in one case I could not even get my feet into a 50!

Always try shoes on.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I was told there was a difference between womans and mens.... the heels were narrower was one of the differences. I tried on a Shimano shoe and it was too narrow for my wide feet - I'm a 41 normally and tried both the 42 and 43 but the guy in the shoe said that i was better to go for a different make and recommended specialized for wider feet. I have ended up with size 42 Ladies Specialized Taho's.

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
Unfortunately there are no LBS's around here that actually sell cycling shoes. I got my current pair of Shimano's off ebay and didn't realise that you're best off getting bigger sizes. So I just got my normal size 7. They fit ok in normal socks but when I put on winter socks or more than one pair of socks on they get quite tight.
I've taken a gamble and bought another pair of Shimano's off Ventura.co.uk for £19.99. Got a size 42 this time so hopefully they will be ok. Can then just sell on my current pair on ebay again.
I shall let you know if they are a good fit! They are ladies cycling shoes again so I presume they will be slightly narrower etc.

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
Shoes have arrived. Fit nicely. Not as tight on the heel, but hopefully that won't be a problem. Fitted cleats in roughly the same location as other shoes. Test ride to work tomorrow, hopefully everything will be ok!