Menchov retires...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Couch

Über Member
Denis Menchov has retired suddenly. I am sure this has no relationship to the recent rumours that a GT winner was being investigated for biological passport irregularities...
You could be very much right... didn't he get accused by Rasmussen a while ago? I guess they must have looked into this....

The Couch

Über Member
Well, I was convinced he was known for "colouring outside the lines", however a quick screening of his Wikipedia-page didn't bring up any doping allegations or suspendings... I guess he must have had some good pointers from Bruyneel along the way :smile:
(Then again there might be a bag with Menchov's blood in Spain waiting to burned)

oldroadman

Veteran
RaceRadio quipped "Menchov retires to spend more time with his lawyers"
:laugh: :laugh:
The falling off bit was good too...

resal

Veteran
Apparently, according to a couple of Dutch Journalists who have a book out Leinders had got Rabo to buy in a Sysmex XE 2100 in 2007 to test their team riders to ensure they did not fail any tests. So Menchov would have been on the program. I wonder what Cookson has to say about letting him join Sky? Sir Dave Brailsford telling us that Sky did everything they could to find out about his past before employing him, seems a little thin. Due diligence it so obviously is not.

It is one thing to hire somebody with a dodgy past and perhaps having a reputation as not being the sharpest cookie in the jar (Yates). It is quite another thing to hire the guy who goes about defeating the checks as an industrial process.

It is just taking the pi*s to tell us they did not know anything about him.

Top Bottom