Mend it and make do

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
@fossyant do you have really tall doors or are you all really small? It would drive me nuts that low hanging light fixture!

gbb

Legendary Member
Shark hoover, rotary roller stopped after the grandkids got it wet. It also suffered from a remarkably poor quality cable imo, very stiff and unwieldy and now its outer sheath was split.
Brought a new one but didnt give up on the old one.
Stripped the base to see why the roller wouldnt work, didnt really find anything but assumed ut was water ingress into the PCB down there. Allowed it to dry out in a warm cupboard and it did solve that problem.
Ideally, id get access to the cable entry but couldnt find out how so brought a rubber cable connector, cut the cable 6 inches from cable entry, put a new length of cable on. Slightly unsightly but works and safe.
Donated to our son and DIL.

@gbb assume it was out of warranty? Our Shark Hoover packed in sucking when using the main floor thing. Rang Shark who said that they couldn’t source a replacement floor thing so would send out a whole new hoover instead as a direct replacement.

The new one is so much better even though it was like for like. Think the first one was a Friday afternoon build!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!

Plus cat

Mike_P

Guru
I've now got two Shark vacuum cleaners having only paid for one. The hose slight split, resolved with a good wrap of duck tape but as it was under warranty asked for a replacement hose and they sent another complete vacuum!

LCpl Boiled Egg

Three word soundbite
Fixed a hole in the knee of my Ronhill Bikesters with a self-adhesive patch, just in time for the winter. Bought a pack of two and there were three in there, so it's not cost me anything really. Bonus!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Fixed a hole in the knee of my Ronhill Bikesters with a self-adhesive patch, just in time for the winter. Bought a pack of two and there were three in there, so it's not cost me anything really. Bonus!

View attachment 616734
My bikesters are starting to wear out. I don't think that they are made any more, so I will have to shop around for something similar.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
I'm about to do a second repair on my Yamaha YSP soundbar. One of the capacitors is a known weakness, and gradually deteriorates such that it won't stay on. This time the replacement I'm soldering in is notably chunkier in the hope it'll last longer than the 4-5 years of the last one.

PS
I know nothing of electronics :smile:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm about to do a second repair on my Yamaha YSP soundbar. One of the capacitors is a known weakness, and gradually deteriorates such that it won't stay on. This time the replacement I'm soldering in is notably chunkier in the hope it'll last longer than the 4-5 years of the last one.
I assume that is a 'dried-up' electrolytic? :whistle:

As you can see from that article, a chunkier capacitor may indeed last longer. You could also select one with a higher voltage rating.

PS
I know nothing of electronics :smile:
Ok, then take note - electrolytic capacitors are polarised, so make sure that you solder the replacement in the right way round! :okay:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Another job. Dryer this time.

Suddenly started making a terrible scraping sound. Pulled out the duvet, and could 'wobble' the drum - Hmm, rear bearing.

Opened the back and a load of 'powdered' metal dust fell out. :wacko:

Removed 5 million screws :wacko: and removed the dryer casing - the bushing and drum 'axel' had worn out completely and fell to bits. Repair kit is £8 and next day delivery is £7.

Good job I removed the cover as there was a fair amount of lint in the bottom - I'll be hoovering the whole thing down before re-assembling.

Saves £150 for another 'small' dryer.

Last edited:

tyred

Legendary Member
I bought an old but very good quality office chair recently which is upholstered in fake leather. The corners of the seat are starting to split (which is why I got it for €5) and I have ordered some self-adhesive leatherette from Chinese ebay to repair it.

It is so comfortable compared to any previous office chair I've had, my sore back is gone and I will have a chair that would have cost hundreds when new for a tenner and a bit of my time :becool:

I bought an old but very good quality office chair recently which is upholstered in fake leather. The corners of the seat are starting to split (which is why I got it for €5) and I have ordered some self-adhesive leatherette from Chinese ebay to repair it.

It is so comfortable compared to any previous office chair I've had, my sore back is gone and I will have a chair that would have cost hundreds when new for a tenner and a bit of my time :becool:
Also get some leather wipes, they do seem to help it last a bit longer before cracking.

Top Bottom