Mend it and make do

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Shamelessly inspired by another thread...

There's been a bit of an environmental theme on the forum of late, and today a wise man commented on these hallowed forums that it's kinder to the environment to repair something and keep it going.

This got me thinking...what have you bodged, repaired, or otherwise coaxed back into life? Everything from clothes and furniture through to cars and houses, if you've mended it when others would have simply bought another then tell us about it.

Chris S

Legendary Member
I got my laptop running again by booting it of a Linux boot disk and then installing it permanently.
(The BIOS had become corrupted and Windows couldn't boot)

jongooligan

Legendary Member
£7 for a bit of tube, a handful of bolts and half an hours cutting and drilling saved this old tandem carrier. It was too long to fit between the roof bars on our new car.

20180813_134704[1].jpg

Detail
20180813_134712[1].jpg

A new one is £200 + £20 p&p.

sheddy

Legendary Member
Pretty much everything I've ever owned. Cars, furniture, vac, fridge, oven, irons, clothes, there is almost no limit.

Glue gun, superglue, epoxy, zip ties, duct tape, jubilee clips, wood glue, solder, string, needle & thread are our friends.

We've even managed to keep our marriage going...

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Son #2 runs a little gardening round in his summer holidays. He bought a petrol mower from homebase. Of course it's only designed for occasional use and he's hammering it so bits keep failing and falling off

Currently the handle is connected by a proper nut on one side and some tightly wound string on the other. The air filter casing is broken and won't stay on. Or at least it wouldn't until I wrapped several heavy duty elastic bands around it. The petrol filler cap split so carefully using a hot knife got it to melt and reseal.

Other than that it's fine

Dave7

Legendary Member
Pretty much everything I've ever owned. Cars, furniture, vac, fridge, oven, irons, clothes, there is almost no limit.

Glue gun, superglue, epoxy, zip ties, duct tape, jubilee clips, wood glue, solder, string, needle & thread are our friends.

We've even managed to keep our marriage going...
What........with zip ties:unsure:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Most recently a computer mouse and a couple of cycle lamps.

With the mouse I had already replaced it once but the replacement terminally broke and not having anything else to hand I got out the soldering iron and fixed the broken connections on the original. I won't win any prizes for the neatness of the joints but it works and you can't see that once the case is reassembled.^_^

The lamps have been sitting around dead for a while so I thought I might as well have a go while the soldering iron was hot. Success with them as well.:okay:

Top Bottom