Mercian Cycles to close

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Shame. No aspiration to have owned one, but would like to believe there is still a place for quality, bespoke craftmanship in the modern, mass produced world we live in?

Such a shame. I still have my Mercian bought from Tom Crowther’s Solihull shop in the 80’s. He used to sell off the peg Mercians with his own branding on them, presumably part of the deal when he sold the Mercian business. I then moved to Derby and got to know Lou Barker a little as a clubmate in the Derby Mercury RC.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Paul Smith's favoured bike brand?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Sad news,

Prior to breaking my femur I was saving for a Mercian Audax Special, I'd got just over a grand put by (753 frame and 531 fork were nearly £1,300) but then after my accident I spent the cash on the trike.

wanderingkev

I made a trip from where I live in the US back to the motherland to get a steel frame made -picked Mercian gave them 600 quid in January -kiss goodbye to that and lost 5 months which is more annoying. TBH while the frames are great and good value (way less than what you pay in the US) the business side of it was hopeless and whoever was managing things could not run a bath ....so on reflection doesn't surprise me

Top Bottom