Mercian fillet brazed time trial Reynolds 731 from 1996

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

otherself

Fully lugged in.
Bought this frame during lockdown off evilbay. Been sat in the loft a few years. Not a fan of sunflower yellow and paint missing in some areas but i think i'll build it up and ride it before the thought of respray. Might do a home job with 2x coats of acid etch primer, Montana paints and 2K lacquer. I think a pale yellow like that similar to vanilla ice cream would look nice. Something like:
41wI9FEMVxL._AC_SY355_.jpg

Its Reynolds 731 which is air-hardened and different from the popular 753 and its successor 725 as it has internal 'rifled' ribs in the butted sections. Makes a stiff frame and light at 1700g. I think 708 Reynolds has similar internal ribs as does Columbus offerings SLX & TSX. No fork, but have a carbon one with a 1 inch steerer - hard to find brand new but found them on Aliexpress for £37.

Groupset - Ultegra 6500 from 1997-2004 so nearly period correct. Nice and shiny though and looks classic. Saddle will be the classic San Marco Concor, itm aero seatpost in polished silver date stamped 1996. Wheels modern Planet X alloys (2011) with gumwall tyres. Modern-ish and cheap clip on bars with 9 speed Microshift bar-cons, FSA orbit silver aheadset 1", shiny no-name silver stem with 1 1/8 > 1" shim, old VP clipless pedals in silver (single sided road).

I need to up my fitness and lose weight 85kg > 74kg 😞. I think my PB for a 10 was in 2009 age 30 (23-xx something... i'll have to find my training log book).

49132316853_a23489005c.jpg

49132808516_fbdac2b7e0_w.jpg

Last edited:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Nice looking frame
Mind your back

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Bought this frame during lockdown off evilbay. Been sat in the loft a few years. Not a fan of sunflower yellow and paint missing in some areas but i think i'll build it up and ride it before the thought of respray. Might do a home job with 2x coats of acid etch primer, Montana paints and 2K lacquer. I think a pale yellow like that similar to vanilla ice cream would look nice. Something like:
View attachment 692251

Its Reynolds 731 which is air-hardened and different from the popular 753 and its successor 725 as it has internal 'rifled' ribs in the butted sections. Makes a stiff frame and light at 1700g. I think 708 Reynolds has similar internal ribs as does Columbus offerings SLX & TSX. No fork, but have a carbon one with a 1 inch steerer - hard to find brand new but found them on Aliexpress for £37.

Groupset - Ultegra 6500 from 1997-2004 so nearly period correct. Nice and shiny though and looks classic. Saddle will be the classic San Marco Concor, itm aero seatpost in polished silver date stamped 1996. Wheels modern Planet X alloys (2011) with gumwall tyres. Modern-ish and cheap clip on bars with 9 speed Microshift bar-cons, FSA orbit silver aheadset 1", shiny no-name silver stem with 1 1/8 > 1" shim, old VP clipless pedals in silver (single sided road).

I need to up my fitness and lose weight 85kg > 74kg 😞. I think my PB for a 10 was in 2009 age 30 (23-xx something... i'll have to find my training log book).

View attachment 692249

View attachment 692250

Very nice :becool:

Top Bottom