Mercian King Of Mercia - Straight or Drop Handlebars ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TTSS

Über Member
So, I'm shortly going to list a rather nice KofM that came as a straight handlebar bike but I also have the drop handlebars with bar end shifters.

On a personal level, I prefer straight handlebars but, given what a lovely bike this is, just curious to see what the overall feeling is.

Should I advertise and publish photos with the drops or the straight bars ?

It's just way too nice for my humble needs.

I shall be on the hunt for a 52 cm Surly LHT or a 26" wheel of a similar nature.

Someone's bound to ask, it's a 52 cm.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Never seen a Mercian with straight bars. More saleable with drops I'd have thought.
Swapping for a Surly? :ohmy:

OP
OP
TTSS

TTSS

Über Member
Never seen a Mercian with straight bars. More saleable with drops I'd have thought.
Swapping for a Surly ?

Ideally, yes. Can't see that happening though tbh.

I can see me either selling the frameset which is stunning and or keeping the groupset which is more touring based.

OP
OP
TTSS

TTSS

Über Member
Ideally, yes. Can't see that happening though tbh.

I can see me either selling the frameset which is stunning and or keeping the groupset which is more touring based.

OP
OP
TTSS

TTSS

Über Member
All being well, tomorrow, I'll be changing the current flat bar setup to drops with bar end shifters. I've never attempted adjustment of the latter but know the 1 x 9 part RHS shifter is indexed.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I've never attempted adjustment of the latter but know the 1 x 9 part RHS shifter is indexed.
pretty straight forward to fit and adjust, although with most models worth remembering when fitting the lever (after you've threaded the cable) that what appears to be a bolt is the back of the nut so tightens up anti clock.

OP
OP
TTSS

TTSS

Über Member
pretty straight forward to fit and adjust, although with most models worth remembering when fitting the lever (after you've threaded the cable) that what appears to be a bolt is the back of the nut so tightens up anti clock.

Cheers for that. Any tips are always welcome.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
the other thing is cable routing. My bars have a hole in the bottom near the bar end where you can run the cable up through in side the bars and then exits on hte tops and the last bits at each end run under the bar tape as shown.

some people run them out from under the bar tape (not through handlebars at all) where shown in red, claiming less friction as a gentle curve. IMHO it looks ugly like a clothes line. if you don't have holes in your bars to run internally, then just run it under the bars all the way round -easiest to tape with electrical tape before you start to wrap bartape.

1645545366060.png

OP
OP
TTSS

TTSS

Über Member
the other thing is cable routing. My bars have a hole in the bottom near the bar end where you can run the cable up through in side the bars and then exits on hte tops and the last bits at each end run under the bar tape as shown.

some people run them out from under the bar tape (not through handlebars at all) where shown in red, claiming less friction as a gentle curve. IMHO it looks ugly like a clothes line. if you don't have holes in your bars to run internally, then just run it under the bars all the way round -easiest to tape with electrical tape before you start to wrap bartape.

View attachment 632236

Thanks v much. ☺

Top Bottom