Merida speeder 200 or Boardman comp hybrid

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello
This is my first post and hoping you can help me out. I'm looking at a new hybrid around the £5-600 mark for mainly road use. Ive seen the Merida speeder 200 and the Boardman comp, both are around the same price and similar spec. I'm new to the bike scene and wondered if anyone had any advice about the quality and value for money of these two bikes please. Are there any others I should consider as well?

steve50

Disenchanted Member
It would appear both frames are made in the same factory http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12626709
It would be Boardman for me but Merida is also a good brand.

Johnno260

Veteran
I had a Boardman Hybrid, they had used BB30 bottom brackets make sure that model doesn't I had 2-3 replaced in short order, looking at the spec I think you're fine in that regard, bar that the Boardman was a nice bike, I made some changes added better brakes, and needed to replace the wheels thanks to some pothole remodelling.

The Merida spec looks very close, there isn't much in it to be honest, I would ride both and see how you feel, if you like both then see what you prefer from a cosmetic point of view or the best deal, there are still some 2016 bikes floating around that shops are desperate to lose so it's a buyers market if you shop around.

The British cycling deal is worth considering, my membership has already paid for it's self, also if you're intending to buy any accessories those can be discounted as well.

I do have a Merida now, but I went from a hybrid to a road bike, I will say I do prefer my Merida.

OP
OP
F

firemanmark71

Regular
Thank you all for your advice. I've just taken the plunge and ordered a 2016 merida speeder as the deal was too good to turn down.

The frames don't matter, lots of hybrids use road frames, some use MTB frames.

I realise the deed is done so. But of course it matters. A hybrids frame has more clearance for wider tyres. Whereas the triban flatbar is a road bike in frame, so it doesn't have that clearance. If the op wants a hybrid in the vein of their two original suggestions, the triban flatbar is a silly suggestion.

I realise the deed is done so. But of course it matters. A hybrids frame has more clearance for wider tyres. Whereas the triban flatbar is a road bike in frame, so it doesn't have that clearance. If the op wants a hybrid in the vein of their two original suggestions, the triban flatbar is a silly suggestion.
You clearly haven't got a clue, ride more, troll less.

Top Bottom