Merida vs Ridgeback

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Anele

Hi guys

We need some advice choosing a bike. In fact we need to get 4 bikes - for my husband, myself and our 2 boys (5 and 6 yo). So far we've short listed Merida and Ridgeback ranges. Did any of you have any experience with either of them? Thank you very much in advance.

Anele

Phixion

Hi there, what type of bike are you after? MTB, Road, Hybrid?

I've heard alot of good things about the Ridgeback Velocity:

Mens: http://www.ridgeback.co.uk/index.php?bikeID=15&seriesID=37&show_bike=TRUE

Ladies: http://www.ridgeback.co.uk/index.php?bikeID=16&seriesID=37&show_bike=TRUE

They are ~£330 each and are Hybrids. May I ask why you want to stick with either Merida or Ridgeback? There are many good bike manufacturers about. Specialized do a nice range.

Have a look through Evans Cycles website, even if you don't buy from there it's nice to get an idea of whats available: http://www.evanscycles.com/categories/complete-bikes

Cheers

rob7222

I ride a Ridgeback Horizon, A little dearer and aimed at roads. I've not had much trouble with it.... But, One of the bolts at the back of the bike used to hold the rear mudguard in plae rubbed with the chain when it was on the smallest cog - a pain in the a** which I sine fixed

OP
OP
A

Anele

Thank you very much for your replies. I realise I sould have given more details. We've shortlisted Merida and Ridgeback because of the advice of LBSs. Both shops have good reputation. One sells Ridgeback and another one - Merida. We are thinking about Hybrid as we are not going to do any mountains. Although after reading the forum i'm not sure if the Tourer would be the better choice. We didn't even look at them at all. The idea is to go biking with our boys - mainly trails but potentially a bit of off road as well. Ocasional comuting on a bike is also a potential option for me. Our budget is not more than £200 for an adult bike and around £100 for the boys. May be it seems a bit low but we are hoping to get a good deal buying 4 bikes together. I know that Ridgeback has quite a good reputation but we've never come across Merida range. According to LBS selling it, it's better quality compared to Ridgeback. He would say that, of course. Any comments? Thanks again.

Anele

Proto

Legendary Member
I'm fairly sure that Merida is one of the biggest bike makers in the world and produces bikes for many other well known brands, quite possibly Ridgeback amongst them.

Either will be fine. Buy the one that gives you the best bikes for the price would be my advice. Also consider the quality of aftersales service you may need from either shop - one better than another?

Mortiroloboy

Proto said:
I'm fairly sure that Merida is one of the biggest bike makers in the world and produces bikes for many other well known brands, quite possibly Ridgeback amongst them.

Either will be fine. Buy the one that gives you the best bikes for the price would be my advice. Also consider the quality of aftersales service you may need from either shop - one better than another?

I think you'll find they make Hellfrauds Carrera range.

And although , like many others here I'm no fan of the shop, their range of hybrid bikes represent good VFM, just make sure you double check the bikes when you get it home as some of the 'mechanics' are probably good sales assistants!

Top Bottom