Merino base layer recommendation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

David5416

Über Member
Just bought a XTM merino base layer from TK Max in Denton Manchester for £19:99 . Used it today for the first time and it absolutely quality, 35 miles in cold wind and a few showers and was warm as toast all the way. The downside bright orange but under my soft shell nobody can see it defo worth a look around TK Max.

screenman

Legendary Member
I use either Rapha or PlanetX merino tops, brilliant stuff.

OP
OP
David5416

David5416

Über Member
Never really used Merino before ( new to road bikes ) always used compression tops, problem I found with them is they get wet with sweat and eventually make you cold . So impressed with it gona try and pick some more up.

Venod

Eh up
Never had a Merino, how do they compare to Helly Hanson Lifa tops, the Helly tops are the best I have found so far.

Last edited:

screenman

Legendary Member
I have been buying thermal tops it seems since cold was invented and wheels were square, I must say in my experience Merino is the best. However sure as water is wet somebody will disagree, which is why I said in my experience.

I have had many HH tops but not sure of the names, fact I still have some in the loft just they do not come out to play any more.

I have some older icebreaker and smartwool tops that are +15 years old. My oldest has only just been officially retired after going on a 12 month tour with me and getting worn almost everyday until it was basically no longer 'decent' to continue to wear it - it is almost threadbare in places and had just reached that comfortable stage...:laugh:

Venod

Eh up
Screenman said; "I must say in my experience Merino is the best"

I will have to try one, it will have to be a tight fit though I don't get on with loose base layers, I bought a Tog base layer only last week but the arms were baggy so took it back.

screenman

Legendary Member
Just buy a short sleeved one from PlanetX £15 I think it will give you an idea of what they are like, the laundry women tells me they wash easily, and I must say to date she has not shrunk one.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Never had a Merino, how do they compare to Helly Hanson Lifa tops, the Helly tops are the best I have found so far.
I have used a HH Lifa Warm Ice base layer for a few years and found it to be pretty good, but it tends to pong because of the artificial fibres. I was given a pure merino vest for Christmas and it's just wonderful.

e-rider

crappy member
Just bought a XTM merino base layer from TK Max in Denton Manchester for £19:99 . Used it today for the first time and it absolutely quality, 35 miles in cold wind and a few showers and was warm as toast all the way. The downside bright orange but under my soft shell nobody can see it defo worth a look around TK Max.
I've got a few merino base layers - I can't say that they are worth the extra cash over a good quality standard base layer though - perhaps slightly warmer but slightly longer drying time IME

OP
OP
David5416

David5416

Über Member
Never used a HH for cycling but use them all the time when working on nights, I am a proper TK Max junky and bought an Icebreaker last month but again never used it for cycling but will be wearing it from now on. Cannot recommend Merino wool base layers enough they are the best thing I've bought this winter apart from the £9:99 waterproof shell from Decathlon.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I rate my merino base layers above the tech base layers I have. They keep me warmer when wet than artificial, don't overheat and smell far better for longer.
If you keep your eyes open you can quite often get bargains. Picked a couple of Decathlon ones for 3 or 4 quid each. Different weights have slightly different characteristics.

400bhp

Guru

They are utter utter (can I continue) utter turd.

After 20 minutes of reasonably good workout riding they stink. Smelly effin Hansen (can you tell what I think of them yet - bought 2 a few months ago. Overrated rubbish)

The £5 decathlon style ones that look similar are as good.

The £10 Aldi baselayers destroy them in terms of warmth and non stinkability.

Merino would wipe the floor with them.

Top Bottom