merino baselayer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jim55

Guru
which ones good ,theres that many .short sleeves preferred(oh and im not into paying 100# for rapha or something lol)

djb1971

Legendary Member
I've just had some Planet X delivered, now worn and washed and they're great with no shrinking. My last were craft merino mix and endura baabaa and they were great but more expensive than planetx.

Alexvs

I've got a Endura Baa Baa long sleeve which is perfect for me so I'm sure the short sleeve would be similar in quality. I've worn it on all my weekend rides the last month while it's been pretty cold and has worked well to keep me warm and to wick the sweat away so everything it's designed to do lol Funny you mention Rapha as one of my mates I ride with is obsessed and trying to get me to buy kit too but way too pricey for me!

OP
OP
jim55

jim55

Guru
yeah i was looking at the planet x ones ,hows the sizing on them ?,im a 42 and it says thats spot on for a large ,are they cut small cos im quite broad across the shoulders

djb1971

Legendary Member
They're exactly the size stated Jim. I bought large because the medium are all gone plus I thought they'd shrink, and they haven't! They're a roomy fit.

I'll measure armpit to armpit if you like.

djb1971

Legendary Member
Armpit to armpit is 21 inches but they stretch lots if you need. I can easily stretch it to 26 across. They're a bit of a bargain and lovely 'n' toasty warm!

djb1971

Legendary Member
I've got the neoprene but never wear them with the sidi diablos. I'd rather use wool socks and be wet and warm. The problem with waterproof overshoes is the bloody big hole your leg goes through!

screenman

Legendary Member
I have both PlanetX and Rapha one's there is definitely a quality difference as you would expect, the cheaper one's feel a little itchier when I first put them on. Both nice and warm though.

yello

I've just had some Planet X delivered, now worn and washed and they're great with no shrinking.

That's good to know because it was my big caveat with the Planet X merino. I think their website used to say (maybe still does) 'handwash only'. A baselayer is little use if it goes out of shape!

My 2 Icebreaker ones are wearing exceedingly well (maybe 6 years old now) and were well worth the investment. They're not cheap though, I'll give you that.

I'm on the look out for an affordable short sleeve one though as my Descente one has just about fallen apart now!

djb1971

Legendary Member
Apparently if merino shrinks you're supposed to steam iron it and stretch it back to shape and size. How that works when they shrink to Action Man size, I don't know :biggrin:

I washed mine on a delicate/hand wash cycle but the label states 30*. Mne aren't itchy either, maybe they've changed them. I had to check they were merino because they were so smooth.

Bodhbh

Guru
I fell out of love with merino, but picked up some of the planet X vests as they were so cheap (tenner each on offer?). They don't shrink too much (it's always a matter of time till they go in the wrong wash tho imo) and aren't itchy at all, certainly much less than the HH and other merinos I've had.

...My 2 Icebreaker ones are wearing exceedingly well (maybe 6 years old now) and were well worth the investment. They're not cheap though, I'll give you that....

I have an icebreaker tops and a couple of Smartwool tops that see regular usage and are more than 15 years old (I think it is 15 years since we walked the West Highland Way). Unfortuantely my icebreaker T shirt did not fair as well. after 6 months of wearing it everyday on tour (and not really washing it that often) the armpits gave up in the far north of norway and it died a sad death... there are only so many times you can stitch something back together! one of the 15 yrs old smartwool tops is also finally dying as well, but that was subjected to the last 6 months of the tour worn each and every day as well with little washing and whilst it has not died in the same areas, it is now thread bare and see through in areas which for a woman is a bit of an issue! still not really found a great replacement for it yet... just have to make sure it is worn under somthing now, rather than by itself!

Top Bottom