Merino wool question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

I found a M&S merino wool jersey in the cupboard. I hav ebeen wearing it over my base layer and two wicking nike t shirts but I am still cold especially later on in therides.

Am I wearing all this in the right 'order', or should I wear the merino first then the nike stuff on top of that? Or is it irrelevant?

I personally would prefer to wear wool next to the skin instead of the man-made fibres undershirts in very cold weather.
Wool absorbs sweat and it should then be wicked away by other layers, preventing cold sweaty skin.
You could try even wearing a string vest under the merino wool, then suitable layers above that.

domtyler

Über Member
This doesn't address your actual question but you might like to know that you will eventually not feel the cold so much after a while of spending so much time outside. I.e. you body will eventually adapt by making new capillaries etc. in your skin.

topcat1

vintage Mercian 2012
Just out of interest Slim, I know you cycle at night but how long are you out in the cold? Personally I wear a baselayer a kidney belt to keep my lower back warm and a jacket but I only ride for 3 hours max.

Blonde

Merino should be worn next to skin for sports purposes. It wicks, (by that I mean the actual wool fibres themslelves wick, rather than just the holes between them, as with most synthetics) it keeps you warm (or cool!) and is not stinky after riding! It is good as a base layer because it absorbs many time it's own weight in water or sweat, so you don't freeze in a cold wet/sweaty vest on descents or when you stop pedalling.

bonj2

on the subject of warmth...
Do not EVER wear a £25 aldi 3 in 1 coat over a jumper when cycling unless you are cycling through siberia - you will LITERALLY be boiled alive ... :biggrin:
I've done that when it was about 4 degrees and was forced to unzip it - I then became so aerodynamically flappy that i was maxxing out at 25mph on 1 in 15s...:biggrin:
what you want is a nice aldi cycling jacket. aerodynamic, nice looking, convenient pockets and just the right level of warmth, (but not very good at moisture management tho' sadly - but can forgive it that, it's great otherwise, suspect it will be perfect when it's not pissing it down and i've got a base layer on that's better at wicking/drying)

bonj2

domtyler said:
This doesn't address your actual question but you might like to know that you will eventually not feel the cold so much after a while of spending so much time outside. I.e. you body will eventually adapt by making new capillaries etc. in your skin.

is that right? :biggrin: interesting, never knew that.

yello

bonj said:
suspect it will be perfect when it's not pissing it down and i've got a base layer on that's better at wicking/drying)

Better perhaps but not perfect. The outer layer needs to be breathable too to avoid that 'boil in the bag' feeling. A breathable base layer can only do so much.

Water proof / breathable is always a compromise one way or the other. Throw cost into the equation too and it's close to an unanswerable question! There are fabrics that are pretty darn good at both but they are not cheap.

Top Bottom