Merlin Cielo - Titanium Beauty....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yenrod

What saddle have you got on this ?

How does it ride BTW ???????????

OP
OP
C

Cooperman

yenrod said:
What saddle have you got on this ?

How does it ride BTW ???????????

Fizik Aliante .......very comfortable recommended....

It was a stunning ride until reaced 50kph then I had the 'wobble' effect.....arbon and titanium flexing ......

I sold the frame in fact and transferred the kit to a Colnago Masterlight steel frame....which rides like it is on rails...

Globalti

Legendary Member
Sorry - it doesn't do it for me, that bike looks like something out of an Edwardian wild west barber's shop.

OP
OP
C

Cooperman

Rigid Raider said:
Sorry - it doesn't do it for me, that bike looks like something out of an Edwardian wild west barber's shop.

Just out of interest what would be a good looking bike for you ? The Cielo is perhaps a bit 'ornate' with the engravings.....

Globalti

Legendary Member
I don't mean to be rude as you are clearly and justifiably proud of the bike - I agree that it is a work of art and obviously enormous effort and skill have gone into its construction, which is to be applauded. But I'm just the kind of person who prefers things to be simple and discrete. I also ride a Ti frame, it's a Global mountain bike but it's just unpolished raw titanium with no embellishments.

My road bike is a Harry Hall in Columbus SLX, here:http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=16499 It corners like it's on rails, changes direction in an instant (look at the wheelbase) and doesn't beat me up at all. It has a simple classic look about it.

How does the frame ride? It's Ti and carbon isn't it? How do you compare the feel of Ti with steel and aluminium? I have a carbon seat post in my Ti frame and they compliment each other very well but there's a lot of flex.

Fiona N

Veteran
I'm so jealous ;)
I had a Specialized with a black carbon fibre frame which had alloy (*beats head on desk - correct terminology has evaporated*) bits between the tubes where the Cielo has the titanium parts. Occasionally other riders would mistake it (from a distance) for a Cielo :smile: but the nearest I've got to one is my mtb has a Merlin (of Preston) frame...

One day I might have to trade up :smile:

OP
OP
C

Cooperman

Rigid Raider said:
I don't mean to be rude as you are clearly and justifiably proud of the bike - I agree that it is a work of art and obviously enormous effort and skill have gone into its construction, which is to be applauded. But I'm just the kind of person who prefers things to be simple and discrete. I also ride a Ti frame, it's a Global mountain bike but it's just unpolished raw titanium with no embellishments.

My road bike is a Harry Hall in Columbus SLX, here:http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=16499 It corners like it's on rails, changes direction in an instant (look at the wheelbase) and doesn't beat me up at all. It has a simple classic look about it.

How does the frame ride? It's Ti and carbon isn't it? How do you compare the feel of Ti with steel and aluminium? I have a carbon seat post in my Ti frame and they compliment each other very well but there's a lot of flex.

Hi .... you are not being rude at all..... all v subjective anyway. To be honest I sold the Cielo frame and purchased a Colnago Masterlight ...quite similar to your lovely Harry Hall ...it is steel and rides as though it is on rails too - with the crome seat stays and front forks ...I will try and get a picture ref ...

The frame was a super ride ...until I reached 50kph when a distinct flexing came into play and this was quite unnerving so I sold it....I have purchased a Merlin Extralight - with tubs and TT bars (via ebay) and that is a phenomenal ride ...most responsive I have ridden ... bomb proof too as 100% TI ... quite plain to look at after the Cielo but still good looking.

I would love to try a TI MTB - I ride steel ... a Dekerf Generation which is springy ...

Thanks for the comments

OP
OP
C

Cooperman

Fiona N said:
I'm so jealous :tongue:
I had a Specialized with a black carbon fibre frame which had alloy (*beats head on desk - correct terminology has evaporated*) bits between the tubes where the Cielo has the titanium parts. Occasionally other riders would mistake it (from a distance) for a Cielo :smile: but the nearest I've got to one is my mtb has a Merlin (of Preston) frame...

One day I might have to trade up :biggrin:

Your Specialized sounds a bit Darth Vader like .... to be honest I sold the Cielo as it was too flexy at speed .... and have moved to a Merlin Extralight (100% TI) which is awesome...

How is your Preston Merlin..... they always look good to me....I am riding steel Dekerf Generation off road and an Ellsworth Truth (FS).

I was pleased to see I am not the only one who has the head on the desk experience .....

Cheers

Top Bottom