Merlin malt-cr

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vanhulle

Hello,
Thinking about a first carbon frame road bike-already addicted via Triban 3-and seen an offer on Merlin Malt-CR frameset. Does anyone know anything about them, the frame not Merlin?
Any advice most appreciated, thank you in advance,
PVH

vickster

Legendary Member
Cycling Active had a review in the last magazine (October). Versus the BTWIN Triban FC3 - the Decathlon bike got a higher score (low 90s versus high 80s) - better frame and vfm, although the Merlin had better components. I think the Merlin has a pretty generic Chinese frame

Google around and you may find the review

OP
OP
V

vanhulle

Many thanks vickster, found it, interesting review, looks good, now though that Btwin does too, decisions decisions?
Cheers, PVH

OP
OP
V

vanhulle

Problem being, I've gathered various "upgrades" for the triban over the last few months, which now amounts to a new groupset, so I was looking out to see if there were any end of season bargain framesets when I saw the Merlin. I don't think Decathlon sell the frameset only.
I see Merlin have a 2012 and 2013 Malt CR carbon framesets on sale, look a real bargain but just seems reviews/feedback is thin on the ground.
Looking at the Cycling Active review it seems the 2013 one is built for comfort rather than speed, but as I am not racing (yet) that's ok.
Might have to see if I can get up there and try one out!
Anyone know what the difference between the 2012 and 2013 is?
Thanks again,
PVH

From what i can gather the biggest change made in frames most years is the colour, it's not every year they come up with a revolutionary new thing they can do to make them better.

vickster

Legendary Member
I'd call Merlin and ask them, if anyone knows the differences, they should :biggrin: when you say new groupset, is that all of the bits? I am in the process of building a bike using SRAM and in order of expense of bits is shifters, wheels, rear cassette and mech, front chainset. Bars, stem, seat post etc adding up quickly too

You may simply find it cheaper to buy the fc3 and keep the triban in tact for the winter, commuting etc

vickster

Legendary Member
He does say he is looking for a carbon framed bike :smile:

OP
OP
V

vanhulle

Thank you all for such a top response.
I have already upgraded the wheels-some great Ritchey ones that weren't wanted by a pal with a boardman! They made a noticeable difference, which is how I began gathering various other bits which has amounted now to a new groupset. So I looked at it all and realised that if I stretched to a new frameset, then the T3 could be a winter/commuter etc. So got to thinking about a carbon one, but the cheaper ones did all seem a bit race orientated and I'm after something more relaxed.
I'm off to Merlin on monday to see in the flesh and have a try. I'll report back.
Just seen the new btwin ones and it has got me thinking,as you've all no doubt guessed I'm not the quickest decision maker!
Also been offered a barely used SAB classico frame only (alu with carbon rear triangle)-orig from planet x-from a chap at work for only £80 which could be a real bargain, but there would then be forks and headset etc. Also don't know if it'd be that much of an upgrade!
Thanks again guys

OP
OP
V

vanhulle

Ok so the SAB Classico frame was just too good a bargain to pass up, it's only alu with a carbon rear triangle, but it really is a quality frame and managed to get some top Columbus Carve forks off T'intinternet for £80 so for £160 think I've an almost brand new bargain. Obviously time and a ride will tell but so far so good, just got to finish the build and I'll report back. I know I could have had full carbon for £120 more but reviews weren't over exciting of the Malt-CR and the SAB's got some great race feedback. It's a bit more compact than I'm used to but when fully built up I can report back if anyone is interested. Failing that I'll just savour the pleasure of riding an Italian thoroughbred!
Thanks again for all the tips,
PVH

Top Bottom