Merry Monk 100K Audax, Somerset, 3rd April

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glover Fan

I got my route sheet through yesterday.

I've just created a GPX file for the route, but this site will not let me upload it as apparently I am not permitted to upload this kind of file?

Pretty excited now, just hope the weather stays like this.

OP
OP
Baggy

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Have just come back from a trip to the physio, and am going to withdraw from the ride :sad: Am disappointed, but better to rest up now and recover properly than press on and risk making things worse.

I look forward to everyone's write-ups!

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Another local (ish) ride that I've never done. Must get out more. Good luck with the knee.

OP
OP
Baggy

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Another local (ish) ride that I've never done. Must get out more. Good luck with the knee.
Have just spoken to the organiser, he was emphasising that I'd be missing out on loads of great cake and home-made food...

Thanks for the good wishes, anyway. Now a few SW Audax threads have all come to the top of the board have realised that I've moaned about my knee on just about every available thread :smile:

Glover Fan

Lovely day, good amount of entries for the 100k, but I arrived after the 200ers had already left.

The control at Forde Abbey was really good, food of very high quality, Sherborne was OKish, not much of a menu if there had to be one criticism. However the food, both at the start and finish by the organiser was absolutely stunning and the fact it was included in the £5 entry fee was astonishing, the cakes were lovely and they were all genuinely nice people.

As for the ride, good couple of tough climbs, especially up from Dowlish wake upto Windwhistle hill, but quite a "fast" route good quality quiet roads. Just unfortunate that we got caught in probably the heaviest April shower for a long time about 10km from the end!!! Absolutely soaked through, even though I had a waterproof jacket in my saddle bag, by the time I would have stopped the get it out I would have been wet through anyway, the shower came from nowhere!!!

Thoroughly good day, but judging by my legs I feel like I need to go up to a 150 or 200km pretty soon. :biggrin:

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Have just spoken to the organiser, he was emphasising that I'd be missing out on loads of great cake and home-made food...

Thanks for the good wishes, anyway. Now a few SW Audax threads have all come to the top of the board have realised that I've moaned about my knee on just about every available thread :smile:

Baggy I m sure you know this but knee pain is often related to incorrect seat height. Even a couple of millimeters too low can cause pain in my limited experience. Good Luck. You were wise to withdraw pushing on through pain can only cause more problems.

OP
OP
Baggy

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Baggy I m sure you know this but knee pain is often related to incorrect seat height. Even a couple of millimeters too low can cause pain in my limited experience. Good Luck. You were wise to withdraw pushing on through pain can only cause more problems.
Thanks Banjo - have posted about it in (minute!) detail in Health and Fitness, and after a couple of physio trips I think it's a combination of cleats and hill technique.

I am going to get my bike fit checked again though - I have had a fitting in the last few years but have fiddled around with it a bit since.

Top Bottom