Mersey Roads 24

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Anyone else doing this? We've got a team this year. Heading up this evening.

Not doing this...

but I do have 'fond' memories of driving support for a mate, Kev Lally, who was riding for the Rutland in the 90s. I remember standing by the side of the road very early on and seeing someone going past on an MTB with aero bars and slicks - turned out that Andy Wilkinson had snapped his best bike the week before and so decided to ride that rather than pull out. He still did about 490mls if I remember right, in a year when he was expecting to go beyond 500 and finally take the record (which was 508?). I think it counts as the most impressive riding I've ever seen. Kev did about 430 and came 5th. I ended up flaking out in a verge and being left to be picked up the next time round.

Have a good time.

OP
OP
Ian H

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Mine was a mediocre 395 miles - rather slower than last year. 20 mins on the finish circuit waiting for a wheel was frustrating. Almost recovered now, so I probably wasn't trying hard enough.

OP
OP
Ian H

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Hi Ian H

Do you have a report on the ride? I'd be very interested to read it please.

Nothing at the moment other than: rode round and round until I was fed up, then continued to ride round and round, etc. I'll try to cobble something together.

Top Bottom