Message for them wot make them cycling signs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bluezelos

How's about putting what sort of cycles can ride on signposted cycle route?

ie: I don't want to start going down a cycle route on my nice road bike only to be greeted with a load of gravel and potholes halfway down the route. I ain't going over that, so it's a u-turn for me.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
The A6 is shocking isn't it?

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Brompton already do that in their advertising. Apparently they are City bike and you can only ride them in cities.

Then of course you can only ride electric bikes if you are old or knackered.

vickster

Legendary Member

ie: I don't want to start going down a cycle route on my nice road bike only to be greeted with a load of gravel and potholes halfway down the route. I ain't going over that, so it's a u-turn for me.
Nothing to stop you carrying out the research with support of other organisations such as Sustrans and providing the funds for doing so ;)

Nothing to really prevent the use of a roadbike on a gravelly potholey surface, just take it slow and steady , walk if it's really bad, after all plenty of UK roads are not dissimilar to this :rolleyes:

It's a great idea. Believe it or not the Department for Transport is really strict about what's allowed on signs - you're only allowed designs that are shown in this thing called TSRGD (Traffic Sign Regulations and General Directions). So you'd have to get them to agree to the idea...

booze and cake

probably out cycling
More often that not when I have used the NCN routes on a road bike out in the shires, its ended up a rocky, bone shaking or boggy route that is not suitable for a road bike unless you inch along at 3mph, in which case you may as well walk. So now I just assume all NCN routes aren't suitable for road bikes, and generally avoid them as a result, sadly.

Drago

Legendary Member
They quite happily put "unsuitable for motors" signs on roads that deteriorate into tracks, so I don't know why "unsuitable for road bicycles" would be that much of a leap for them.

Top Bottom