Messenger/skype - why can't I hear Grandad?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
We're trying to get him set up so he can keep in touch with family, and we've managed to get Messenger up & running, but tho' he can see & hear us, we can only see him. We've done the obvious things like test the microphone, which is working, and checked the settings for apps to make sure it's not turned off for Messenger - and it isn't. So we got him to install Skype as well - exactly the same: we can see him, but no sound. I'm supposed to be taking over his computer remotely in a while - any ideas where I should start my poking around? Many thanks for any advice you can offer.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I don't know about Skype but on Messenger there is an option to mute/unmute the call while actually on the call.

I think the default is mute, at least it is on my laptop but not my phone.

I haven't investigated closely, must do so, but I find Messenger behaves differently on laptop and phone. I think there must be a laptop app which is separate to FB the same as on a phone

Slick

Guru
Might be totally unrelated but I was using Skype at home quite successfully for meetings and the like then took my setup back in to the office for a day and again it was working perfectly but when I took it back home somehow the speaker settings had changed, I think it reverted to try and use the laptop speakers when I was using a head set but even when I pulled the headset out, it still didn't work. It's an easy enough fix in the settings if that's what it is, is the speaker icon on screen white instead of blue?

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Can't work Skype.jpg

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Has he given the Skype app permission to use the microphone?

Has he made an echo test call?

https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA...nd-is-working-in-skype-make-an-echo-test-call
Even that wouldn't work. Just came up saying 'messaging unavailable'. The microphone's definitely on, skype and messenger both have the microphone on, but when he calls there's vision but no sound. I've taken remote control of his computer and checked everything I can think of, but no joy. Oh, tried in both Edge & Chrome, BTW - same difference. Have to say I'm stumped. :sad:

Top Bottom