Met Police at Colliers Wood today...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SO8

Veteran
[QUOTE 1136234"]
...getting cyclists to sit in CEMEX HGV and giving goodies out with Merton Council.

Told off for not weraing helmet! :smile:
[/quote]

Getting an idea of the lack of vision HGV drivers have ... no matter how many mirrors .... is a bit of an eye opener. Equally, driving an HGV over a pedal cycle in a 4 axle tipper truck and not even feeling it was a bit of a shock for me (all done off road as part of a training / awareness exercise).

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
here are also unmarked traffic officers on bicycles cycling the super highways on the look out for naughty people, in cars and on bikes.

Twiggy

Getting an idea of the lack of vision HGV drivers have ... no matter how many mirrors .... is a bit of an eye opener. Equally, driving an HGV over a pedal cycle in a 4 axle tipper truck and not even feeling it was a bit of a shock for me (all done off road as part of a training / awareness exercise).

You ran someone over as part of an awareness exercise?..?!?!?

:tongue:

Though I heard someone who drove heavy vehicals regularly, talk about how he'd took a chunk out of a car without even noticing...

Plainly, HGV's are unfit to be on the roads.

[QUOTE 1136234"]
...getting cyclists to sit in CEMEX HGV and giving goodies out with Merton Council.

Told off for not weraing helmet! :smile:
[/quote]

Good idea with regards to the HGV. Not such a great comment on the helmet. Pro-choice and all that.....

Peter10

God I hope that is sarcasm, because if it isn't I really don't know where to start.

I have seen cyclists cut up the inside of HGV's before when the truck is clearly indicating left and it makes me cringe every time, touch wood, I haven't seen a cyclist hurt in front of me yet, but I have had to go after it's happened. In my experience, bus drivers are far worse than HGV drivers and they have a better field of view compared to the HGV's.

yello

I think they're allowed to take the off when they're going to the toilet and stuff. :smile:

But but... they might bang their heads on the door or something ;)

Amanda P

Legendary Member

God I hope that is sarcasm, because if it isn't I really don't know where to start.

I'm sure it was. Relax

Well...

There are arguments that suggest that mixing very large vehicles with limited visibility with small, fast-moving squashy cyclists on narrow busy streets is bascially a bad idea. In many parts of Europe it doesn't happen much because by and large, the two either use different routes or use them at different times.

I offer no comment about whether any of that is possible or desirable in London - I'll leave that to those of you who have the misfortune to live or work there.

Top Bottom