Metabikes final incarnation?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulM

Guru

As you probably know this bike has been through a lot of mods. It came in 20/26 format with caliper brakes and 28mm tyres. I found the ride too harsh so with a new fork I converted it to 20/20 with 50mm Big Apple tyres on new wider rims (and BB7 disc brakes). I also changed from tiller to Bachetta bars. This week I fitted chain tubes in front of the idler (can now ride in jeans and keep them clean), refitted the titanium rack, added a flinger mudguard and a bottle cage to the old rear brake bridge. Oh yes, and I raised the seat and cut down the riser so that I can get a good view of the road ahead. The Metabikes is by far and away the best hill climbing bent I've owned, it's very controllable. And I get on well with its seat. The seat height is about 21" (so easy to get both feet flat on the floor) and the BB is about 26.5". It suits me well.

Sailorsi

Recumbents - Exercise whilst lying down
Decided to keep her then Paul ^_^, looking good. Pleased you have found the right set up for you. I'm still in the fettling stage, I guess it takes a while to get it spot on.

OP
OP
P

PaulM

Guru
Hi Simon, it looks like I spent 4 years "fettling". must be some kind of record! ^_^ Been out on the bike again today and came home on a real high, it's fantastic. I noticed how easy it was to start off, even on steep hills. I think this is because the balance is so easy on it, you don't need to gain much speed before bringing the other foot up. I don't need much of a push off to get it underway. And it's great riding in jeans and polo shirt now the chain is enclosed in tubes where it's needed. The transmission is also much quieter since I can use wet lube rather than dry lube.

I've registered for the IOW randonee on the 1st May. I think I might be doing it on the Metabikes.:smile:

Sailorsi

Recumbents - Exercise whilst lying down
Good luck with the IOW ride. I'm still recovering from a knee injury but getting there slowly. Been on a few short rides recently and loving getting back into it, itching to go on a proper ride but having to restrain myself as I recover. Take care and enjoy the Meta!

Top Bottom