Metropolitan police to deploy 650 officers at cycle blackspots

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
Apparently these officers will 'hand out leaflets and fixed penalty notices at 166 junctions marked as the capital's worst.'

This talk of 'leaflets and fixed penalty notices' all sounds a bit ambiguous and wooly. Will the targets be RLJ cyclists, cyclists without helmets and high-viz, motorists who encroach on ASLs? No doubt the strategy will rapidly become clear as soon as rush-hour kicks off on Monday morning.

I'm a little worried already, as Boris hasn't been very sympathetic so far, and whatever the police have planned for Monday morning has probably already been approved by Boris.

goldenwheels

Trusting in road users willingness to self regulate and adhere to the Highway Code, when no one is looking, is clearly not working.
If we will act like babies when in or on our vehicles, we will be treated like ones. So expect a few smacked bottoms come Monday morning. It's long overdue

davefb

Guru
What's the bet they'll be too busy lecturing cyclists on hi-viz and helmets to actually nick any drivers jumping red lights, driving into ASLs on red, or using their mobile phones - or, in the case of black cab drivers, all three?

we have had the link about how the coppers did indeed lecture people last week about hiviz, but also spoke to 20 wagon drivers and got 60 offences ( including tacho abuse)..

havent we?

So yeah, I suspect you're correct...

Does seem a bit wierd as well, since surely everyone behaves well when theres an actual chance of a copper being there, then just goes back to being an idiot then moment they're out of sight ?

Hey ho, if it saves a life worth it..

Mile195

Veteran
There were police at Oval, Vauxhall Bridge/Embankment, and further along the embankment toward Chelsea on my way in this morning. Didn't seem to be any different to last weeks operation to be honest and they didn't appear to be picking on anyone for lack of hi-viz or headphones etc. They were also pulling over lorries at Vauxhall Cross but they've been doing that sporadically for months.

I don't mind seeing more police at junctions. As @Rockymountain says people will always behave when they're there, but I think it helps to make some people a bit more cautious at least for the rest of the journey they're making, if nothing else than to avoid getting pulled over at another junction somewhere else.

What's the bet they'll be too busy lecturing cyclists on hi-viz and helmets to actually nick any drivers jumping red lights, driving into ASLs on red, or using their mobile phones - or, in the case of black cab drivers, all three?

POint them out, and don't give them the choice.

We did this with a cycle check at the Gosport Ferry

Half a dozen cyclists pointing atthe prat in the 4x4 river on the phone nd shouting "OI Officer, can you do something about this guy" forced him to come over and talk to the driver.

goody

Veteran
Saw a few a Tooting b/way and Mitcham, stopped one lady on a bike (not sure what for) and one of them had a word with a scooter rider that entered the asl box. If they are seen to stop cyclists it gives the impression that we are the 'problem'.

Davidsw8

Police on Albert Embankment doing random checks on delivery vehicles, all the while there's cyclists RLJing like there's no tomorrow mere metres away and gridlock on Lambeth Bridge south side just a little further up.

Top Bottom