Mezzo. How do you take front wheel off bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mark104

Tried to take off wheel but seems completely connected to frame. Checked online but no one seems to have had problem. Maybe I am getting altzeimers. Please help.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
It's not that straightforward, as well as the quick release there's a nut that needs removing, there's a good explanation here:

http://www.foldsoc.co.uk/Mike/MikesMezzo/Mezzod9-2.html

CanucksTraveller

Oh and also, if yours has the "Clix" system on the quick release, make sure you release the black "flange" by pulling it away from the fork, that's in addition to opening the lever. That caught me out once before.

OP
OP
M

Mark104

It's not that straightforward, as well as the quick release there's a nut that needs removing, there's a good explanation here:

http://www.foldsoc.co.uk/Mike/MikesMezzo/Mezzod9-2.html
Thanks for response. Read the link but, pray, where is the mysterious nut for which one needs an 8 mm socket? All I want is to replace the tyre/inner tube and then get rid of the damn thing. If all bikes were designed like this then: the end of cycling!

CanucksTraveller

It really depends on the model and vintage as to whether that nut is used, what you're looking for is where the mudguard stays are secured, as it's that which stops the wheel being removed. On later models it's two Allen bolts like this:
(Credit to the folding society)
mzcatch4.jpg

OP
OP
M

Mark104

It really depends on the model and vintage as to whether that nut is used, what you're looking for is where the mudguard stays are secured, as it's that which stops the wheel being removed. On later models it's two Allen bolts like this:
(Credit to the folding society)
View attachment 145860
Thanks for info and picture. But I had already worked it out using a magnifying glass and strong light. My mezzo has the 2 nuts as on your pic. Still think it is unnecessary design. I don't use it much. Do you know whether this bike has a resale value. Thank you for help and picture. Mark

mikeszero

If you have the D9 you will not see the two bolts as detailed in some of the posts. If you look at the side opposite to the quick release lever you will (just) see a small nut that needs to be unscrewed first. Release the wheel. On the opposite side of the quick release mechanism, screw IN by hand the large dome shaped "bolt" (mine has horizontal rifling on it). As you do this you will gradually reveal the small nut that can now be unscrewed without the need for an 8mm socket. Now unscrew the dome shaped bolt and you can pull out the quick release fitting. Nearly there! Pull apart the forks and with great difficulty the wheel comes out. Getting it all back in is a lot easier. This is a dog of a job and I would't even consider replacing a tyre on the road: fold the bike up and look for public transport! Last of all, make sure that the quick release lever is "tight" when everything is put back together. My front wheel came out once when in a locked position and I went over the top. Overall advise: take it into a bike shop and let someone else suffer... and make a point of mentioning the correct position of the quick release mechanism.

Top Bottom