Mice!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jiggerypokery

Über Member
Why all of a sudden are both my front and rear brakes squeeling?

I scared the bejeus out of the good people of Royal Tunbridge Wells last night when I pootled through the Pantiles. The braying and snorting of Pims was fun to see tho ;)

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Been out in the rain? sometimes all it takes is a clean of the rims and pads.

SimonC

Squealing is usually caused by brake pads not being "toed" in.

The trailing edge of the brake pad should touch the rim first, by angling the pads. Wet weather and subsequent general road s*ite can grind the trailing edge away if thet were set up that way, and can make em start squealing again.

The squealing is caused by the brake pad releasing and grabbing again really quickly. Can make the forks vibrate also.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Trailing end touching first is what I'd call correct.

Note that the trailing end of the pad is the end towards the front of the bike. The leading end is the end that touches any given bit of rim first (or would if the pads were flat). The brakes are at the top of the wheel (usually), and at the top the rim is moving from the rear to the front. Hence the front end is the trailing end.

simon_brooke

Trailing should touch first, definitely. Otherwise it grabs and judders. Squealing is usually caused by grease or oil contamination on the brake tracks, often a result of over-enthusiastic application of chain-lube. Clean them with white spirit, meths or vodka.

Jonathan M

simon_brooke said:
Clean them with vodka.

Sorry, one of the stupidest comments I've ever read on a bike forum.

Vodka is for drinking, not for wasting on rim cleaning!!!

Top Bottom