Michele Scarponi RIP

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rliu

Veteran
Another example of the SMIDSY phenonmenon, particularly dangerous in this scenario where somebody is descending at speed. Sometimes you just feel damned if you do damned if you don't as a cyclist. When you cycle in heavy traffic you face the pollution, dooring, cars turning across cycle lanes etc., and then when you cycle at quiet times at the weekend or early morning you face inattentive drivers who just don't expect to see cyclists. It seems only when we have highly evolved autonomous vehicles that will be able to brake in a split second and maybe even designed to cushion impacts with human bodies will we truly eradicate tragedies like this.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
(it was in the translation).
Added since I read it earlier. Thanks.

400bhp

Guru
Terrible news. I liked Scarponi, bl00dy strong rider and a team player.

His twitter video of his parrot cycling with him is worth a watch.

Does cycling have a benevolent fund like other sports, to help his family in a case like this?

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
Another example of the SMIDSY phenonmenon...

I think it's probably dangerous to use an accident like this where there's minimal information available to make political points. We have no real idea what happened. Suffice it to say whatever the root cause, this and any accidental death however caused is a tragedy.

rliu

Veteran
I think it's probably dangerous to use an accident like this where there's minimal information available to make political points. We have no real idea what happened. Suffice it to say whatever the root cause, this and any accidental death however caused is a tragedy.

What political point scoring? I'm going off what the press has reported in Italian press and referenced here http://road.cc/content/news/221331-...ichele-scarponi-failed-give-way-and-didnt-see

No idea why some people think it's controversial to suggest that when a vulnerable user is killed the driver had a responsibility. Would you accept a plane crash or a train crash as just an inevitable statistic? Only with motor vehicle accidents do people talk about it as if it's some unchangeable act of God.

Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom