Mickle method - cleaning cassette and jockey wheels without solvents

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigAl68

Über Member
I use a brush specifically for cleaning the chain, like this:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/muc-off-claw-brush/rp-prod40764

Other brands and sellers are available.

Doesn't get any easier.

This is just what I use but got mine for a pound at a bike jumble. And wet wipes as everyone else

OP
OP
confusedcyclist

confusedcyclist

Veteran
The individual part cleaning also applies to chains

First of all break the chain down into its component parts:

chain-apart.jpg

Using a pipe cleaners and cotton buds, thoroughly clean each part, and then grease:

chainclean10.jpg

Then reassemble

Full instructions are on the ShelBroCo website
Help, how do I put it back together?

OP
OP
confusedcyclist

confusedcyclist

Veteran
Thanks for the suggestions guys, for those that suggested WD40/GT85/Degreasers, I thought the whole point of the mickle method was to avoid degreaser/solvents?!

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
The easiest way is to take the cassette off, take it apart and clean the cogs and the spacers seperately - I use GT85, but you could do it without, or with a watwer based cleaner. You can then give that area of the hub a good cleanup too. Same with the jockey wheels, and you can regrease them before putting them back. Before you know it you will also have cleaned the jockey cage and all the other bits of the mech that you can't usually reach!

For the cassette, baby wipe wrapped around an old CD

Cubist

Still wavin'
Thanks for the suggestions guys, for those that suggested WD40/GT85/Degreasers, I thought the whole point of the mickle method was to avoid degreaser/solvents?!
They aren't degreasers. Gt85 contains solvents which break down the old lube sticking to the metal. The Mickle method in part depends on the new lube and the solvents it contains softening the old lube and the grit it holds, making it easy to wipe off. Degreasers remove everything wholesale, including the lube in the roller links. Cassettes don't need lubes on their own, but the residual Teflon from the GT85 leaves a protective coating on the metal.

Levo-Lon

Guru
I take the wheel out and use a micro fibre cloth, pull it tight and simply run it anti clock between the gears and as you move the cloth back and forth it cleans them a treat. You can apply gt85 or wd40 to the cloth so you dont get it on disc or rims...but I dont bother as a rule.

top tip Dont let her indoors catch you washing all your dirty cloths in the washing machine...

Venod

Eh up
To clean cassette I wrap a piece of rag round a hacksaw blade, without the rag a blade is also very good for removing grass etc picked up by MTB cassettes.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
The individual part cleaning also applies to chains

First of all break the chain down into its component parts:

chain-apart.jpg

Using a pipe cleaners and cotton buds, thoroughly clean each part, and then grease:

chainclean10.jpg

Then reassemble

Full instructions are on the ShelBroCo website

Sorted, got the chain in bits in individual pots on the side. Mrs is going mad but if its good enough for Sheldon, divorce is a price worth paying.

Anyone taking this seriously, please scroll down to the bottom of the page! LMFAO

Oh

The Method is a chain maintenence regime which requires a clean transmission to start with. It'll deliver a clean and dry transmission with regular use but isn't the best way to clean a tranny which has been allowed to get manky. It'll just about cope with a dirty chain but the sprockets and chainrings might require more robust measures - up to and including the use of solvents.

Top Bottom