Micro tour costs.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ride2017

Just read a post in the travelogue section about a micro tour around the West Country. I've got 4 or 5 days available in a few weeks and so thought I!d do the same as it's been a good few years since I've done a multiday bike tour.

Thought I'd start in Taunton heading towards Minehead. Anyway, doing some rough cost calculations and have been left somewhat shell shocked at the costs. Some ball park costs are £80 for the train from London and about £50 a night for a B&B even after asking local tourist information for any cheap accommodation i.e youth hostels. Giving a basic cost of over £300.

I then thought about taking some camping gear but there appears to be little in the way of campsites available. The thought of 5 days of rain and spending nights hidden in the corner in a muddy farmers field not particularly appealing . Also warm sleeping bags are bulky which is troublesome during the day.

Was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to do this more cheaply.
Thanks

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I'd head up to Derbyshire if camping, a lot of the sites are open all year round (and average less than a tenner a night)

snorri

Legendary Member
Have you looked at the price of 2 single tickets to Taunton? It possibly depends on the days of travel, but whilst a return London to Taunton costs nearly£80, two single tickets on the same days in April would cost £18 each, a total of £36.
I wouldn't think you could get B&B much cheaper than £50 other than in hostels.

If your concern is cost, it is cheaper to cycle in Europe than in the UK.
For example, I thought about doing the C2C. But the train fare itself will be about £200. It is cheaper to fly to Europe for me than to catch the train.

rualexander

Legendary Member
AirBnB?
Just had a quick look, at £30 and under there are quite a few places in Taunton and Minehead, and some in between.

Warmshowers? There's one host in each of Taunton and Minehead, and a couple in between depending on route.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Trains down the Waterloo line to Honiton are cheaper: ~£22 or £25 to Exeter. If you take GWR mainline to Taunton, be aware that it is obligatory to book a bike space in advance. From Honiton you can be up on the Blackdowns and across to Taunton. From Exeter it's a nice ride west up onto Dartmoor. Or change there and take the train up to Barnstaple and start from there.
When I was looking at B&Bs in Devon and Cornwall for a similar tour, £30 was a good, low price. I stayed at Elmfield House in Northlew (10km NW of Okehampton) at the end of Day 1 of end-to-end (NB cash). Thoroughly recommended and augmented/complemented by the Green Dragon pub (owned by the same 'family' team, I think). Call Martin Perry on 01409 221376 or 07974 859029 email: stay@elmfield-northlew.co.uk
YHA hostels should work out at less than £20 (average) and it's be worth buying annual membership (save £3 a night). Spoilt for geographic choice.
upload_2017-2-19_17-50-51.png

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Warmshowers and Couchsurfers are another option.

robjh

Legendary Member
Another cost consideration is evening meals.If you're staying in B&Bs then you will probably be wanting to eat out somewhere which is going to cost a few £ every night. In youth hostels on the other hand you can cook for yourself, which is much cheaper. When I did it last November I carried a bit of basic foodstuffs with me - pasta, cheese and ham/salami, teabags, and bought extra bits as I passed shops during the day. It didn't add much to the weight but made me self-sufficient.
I did like the YHA cooked breakfasts though.

Bodhbh

Guru
Thought I'd start in Taunton heading towards Minehead. Anyway, doing some rough cost calculations and have been left somewhat shell shocked at the costs. Some ball park costs are £80 for the train from London and about £50 a night for a B&B even after asking local tourist information for any cheap accommodation i.e youth hostels. Giving a basic cost of over £300.

I then thought about taking some camping gear but there appears to be little in the way of campsites available. The thought of 5 days of rain and spending nights hidden in the corner in a muddy farmers field not particularly appealing . Also warm sleeping bags are bulky which is troublesome during the day.

/edit doh just noticed A

Thanks

You could look at the train prices to Crewkerne/Yeovil. They're not far from Taunton, but on a different line and sometimes cheaper (and more bike friendly trains, in terms of not needing to book). If you're thinking of doing this soon, South West trains are doing 14 quid advance off-peak singles...up till Easter I think.

/edit doh just noticed Ajax had the SW trains thing covered.

I can't think you'd have trouble findiing campsites in that area. I normally look on an OS map (or bikehike.com) for the campsites, then google it if I want to book in advance.

Last edited:
For example, I thought about doing the C2C. But the train fare itself will be about £200. It is cheaper to fly to Europe for me than to catch the train.
There's no need to pay anything like £200 for a UK train fare for a cycling holiday. Presumably there will be some planning ahead involved, so book the tickets ahead. In a month or two I am going London to Leeds then an onward journey from there for another hour or so. With the bike. £18 return on a special special offer.

I've also gone London to Newark with a bike for £5 and to Coventry for £5.25.

Oh and London Birmingham with a bike for £4 - tarped it on the way back - in March.

Please note I am not defending the UK's barmy rail pricing - 15 years ago it cost over £200 for a return Manchester to London return for any train that would get you into London for a business meeting.

Yes, OP, B&Bs aren't what they used to be.

If the price of the jaunt bothers you I would think seriously about camping/tarping it some of the time. It's only five days - have a good scrub before you set off - what can happen to you?

I doubt this to be honest.
To get a cheap air far you have to book well ahead.
Just like with UK trains which can be very cheap if you do.
And how much did it cost you to fly a bike both ways?
That used to be cheap but no longer - I know as I used to do it.
How do you get yourself to the airport with your bike?
Do you have figures/examples?

tyred

Legendary Member
It is worthwhile to phone hostels or B&Bs rather than book them through things like booking.com. Those websites charge fees which the owner may not pass on if you book direct. Also at quiet times they may be happy to take a bit less anyway.

Good tip tyred.

I have bad memories of using one of those booking services.

Sometimes, despite the wonders of the internet, direct human one on one communication is best.

And you have a direct relationship with the provider of the service,

Top Bottom